Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monti’s losing color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monti’s losing color
    Posted: January 31 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by chuckfu5 chuckfu5 wrote:

Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

lighting and nutrients 

Too much light? Too much or too little and also different spectrum will/can cause color change.

Too high or low nutrients? Could you explain just a little bit? Too high or too low nutrients will/can cause color change.

Thanks for the reply.
Spectrum, intensity, lighting cycle, as well as nutrient levels, either singularly or combine can/will change the color of coral. There is not one easy answer. Assuming your tank is mature and stable, I would move the coral to either get higher or lower light and see how it reacts. I don't have nowhere enough info on your system, lighting, nutrients, coral history (where coral came from, how long in system) ect... but would guess spectrum and intensity.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 9:15am
I think its just adjusting to the color spectrum of your lights. If you change lights or spectrum (with LED), it will likely shift colors again. Nearly every coral I've kept over the years has changed colors in my tank (with only a few exceptions). This is especially true now because I am running my lights very blue, and this brings out colors that usually you won't see from a store or commercial grower.
60g LPS Cube
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 8:37am
It may just be "morphing" so to say.

Zack801 is correct, if you are trying for a low nutrient system your alk should not be above 9.0. If its not low nutrient, you are fine, as long as your test kit is correct
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

What light are you using?

Bleaching is usually due to too much light or not enough nutrients

Browning is usually not enough light or too much nutrients

Kessil 360

It’s not bleaching or browning. It has changed from a green to a purple color.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 7:33am
Alk is at 12.6dkh? That is pretty high and doesn't leave a lot of room for error. I think with lower nutrient system you'd want to keep alk a bit lower to keep from potentially burning up your sps.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 10:32pm
What light are you using?

Bleaching is usually due to too much light or not enough nutrients

Browning is usually not enough light or too much nutrients
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

lighting and nutrients 

Too much light?

Too high or low nutrients? Could you explain just a little bit?

Thanks for the reply.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 8:59pm
lighting and nutrients 
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 5:21pm

Just wondering what causes montis to lose their color?

I have a decent size Green Monti that has changed from green to an almost purple.

Also the grafted Monti I got from you has gone from a red with green to almost an orange with no green.

Any ideas?

I'm running the Red Sea program and have everything setup to dose automatically with the APEX DOS pumps.

Here are my parameters

Alk 12.6
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1400
Nitrates 5
Phosphates .01
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic