Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cloudy water after water change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leatherneck1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloudy water after water change
    Posted: February 04 2018 at 9:23am
Hey all,

Yesterday I did a normal water change. Today the water is cloudy and my Kenyan tree coral is wilted and my bubble tip anemone is contracted. The fish and shrimp seem to be acting normal. Tested levels and they are normal. I am not sure what to test for or how to fix this...please help!

Greg

Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 10:37am
Can you add some carbon and maybe do another water change?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 11:02am
Thanks! It has a bag of carbon in the biggest well in the back. I rinsed this off during the water change. How long does carbon last?
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 11:28am
Did you change any filter media? It appears your tank is cycling.

Also did you vacuum out the sand or disturb anything.

Did you test for ammonia and nitrates?

I’ve had this happen in the past when I changed out filter pads, and did water changes
You say you rinsed out a bag of carbon. What else did you clean?

As to the question how long does carbon last it depends on the bio load of the system and the water flow over the carbon.
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 11:55am
This looks like a bacterial bloom.

Make sure there is plenty of oxygen getting into the water. Either by a skimmer, airstone or ripples on the surface.

Use carbon, it will last several days.

Main thing get oxygen into the tank

Edited by badfinger - February 04 2018 at 11:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatherneck1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 12:06pm
I tested for ammonia and nitrates. Nitrates was perfect and my tank has always run just slightly high in ammonia. I have a filter pad that I rinsed off and the bag of carbon. I vacuumed one 2 or 3 small spots and just on the surface like always.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 2:44pm
How old is the tank it looks fairly established. Why does it ever have measurable ammonia?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic