Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diving back in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diving back in
    Posted: February 09 2018 at 12:53pm
Ok so here is the long and short of it. I started into salt back in 99 with a 29 gallon FO tank. In 2002 I got a 46g bowfront and started into a mixed reef. Late 2003 I was introduced to the club by David Tea. Joined up in 04 as a paid member. 09 I had a bad tank crash and due to limited funds, and moving to a place I couldn't keep the tank I sold and got out. 2012 I bought a house and set up a 20 gallon nano, but with working 50-60 hours a week and school at nights on top of a new baby and toddler I couldn't keep it up, so I sold the live stock and tore it down.

This year I have decided it is time to start up again. I might not have the time or money, but I figure I can make time and find the money. (Anyone want to buy a kidney, or a spleen???) I figured I'd start a tank thread for help and support. A lot has changed in the time I have been out. Almost like being a NEWB.

Anyway, tomorrow I am buying an established 65 gallon tank. From my understanding it has been running about 3 years. Has a back overflow with I believe a 20g sump. 3 power heads in it, live rock and someone stock. I know it has an LED light strip onto and moon lights. Sump and tank lights are running 12 hours opposite of each other with about 30 minutes of over lap. As far as brand names on the equipment I dont have that right off hand but will find out as I move it all. I am excited to get back into the hobby and the club. I will post pictures as I get them.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Member~ A.A.A. ( Aquarium Addicts Anonomous)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 1:00pm
Welcome back! We never really leave this hobby. It's in your blood you can't just wish it away. lol

My first recommendation is to save a large cup of the sand that is in the tank when you tear down to move it and throw the rest of the sand out. Put all new sand in when you get it home and then seed the new sand by dumping the saved cup of sand on top of the new sand.

Get some pics and let's see what you are working with.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 2:25pm
So why all new sand? I would think the built in biological with the old sand would be more beneficial to help cycle the tank quicker and easy stress on the live stock would it not?
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 2:57pm
If that sand has been in that tank for 3 years then chances are there is build up of detritus, waste and maybe even some nasty annoxic zones under rocks  and such. While there is bacteria in the sand moving a tank usually stirs up more of the bad stuff then that bacteria can handle and you risk a big problem with the tank. By replacing the sand  your risk is reduced to just some cloudy water for a couple of days. The rock will still be live and carry enough bacteria and critters to quickly reseed the sand. I've moved tanks both ways and I definitely recommend the new sand method. You could also remove the sand and rinse it really well with a hose and stir all of the nasties out but that's a lot of work.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 3:19pm
Good info. Thanks
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 4:36pm
Welcome back... I too always use new sand.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 5:19pm
Got the tank today, I did get new sand. But couldn't get enough to fill get much on the bottom. So I took the old sand and rinsed it really well pmus added my new stuff so I now have a bed that's about 3 1/2-4" deep. Also added to the refugium which had none at all.

So for parts. It has a 20 galling refugium\ sump. Good size return pump, but it has no brand name in it. It has fresh water LED set up on it so I will change that out at some point.

It has a Remora HOB skimmer, two power heads one is a Hydor, the other a CNZ.
Lighting a 36"LED strip light. Which to me seems like it would be to narrow. For as deep as the tank is. It has ine strip of white and one strip of blue, ive never used LED's so maybe someone can comment of that. I will try and get pictures posted here shortly
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 5:30pm

Home and getting ready to set it up
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2018 at 7:44pm

The light set up.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 12:05am
What is your asking asking price for kidney/spleen? Kidding aside welcome back :)
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 4:40pm

Second day and most everything seems to be doing well.
Here are some tank pictures.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 7:56pm
New addition is a better light. Programmable LED set up. Not high end but it was in the budget and is a step up from the old light.
Wife wasn't to thrilled with idea of me drilling and hanging the light in her ceiling so I welded up a nice mount to sit on top. Made it at work with scrap aluminium. Turned out pretty nice. Haven't decided if I'm going to paint it black to match the stand or not.

Edited by nwreef - February 16 2018 at 5:32pm
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 1:03pm
Nice to see reefers in the area. I'm getting back into the hobby as well.
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 5:33pm
Awesome. Nice to see someone close to me
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic