Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where to start (HUGE INWALL)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to start (HUGE INWALL)
    Posted: February 16 2018 at 10:13pm
So i think im in my forever home now.. and i have an unfinished basement. this has set me up with the space to perhaps install an 8x3x3 aquarium...  ive previously owned 2-120g 1-210g a couple 40s. so im aware whats gonna have to go into this.. but having a tank put in the wall isnt exactly something you can buy off the shelf... so what are my recommended paths as far as tank builders/materials etc.

thanks... step 1 of always being broke haha
480 in wall in progress
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 9:12am
I would start by seeing othe large builds. I'm planning a large tank as well and have begun seeing other tanks in person to ask a lot of questions. Best not to repeat others mistakes and you'll find there are lots of very knowledgeable people with large tanks in the area
60g LPS Cube
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 1:24pm
I'm 96 X 30 X 32 tall.  You are more than welcome to swing by and ask questions.  I have a big list of the mistakes and regrets in my system.  
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 5:16pm
As far as in wall tanks go. There are two common ways of putting it in the wall. 

1. you can put it so the tank sits behind an opening in the wall. This type sits recessed into the wall and is the easier way to go. You just build a wall with an opening and put the tank directly behind the opening. This way will give you a 4 inch ledge in front of the tank if that is what you want.

2. You actually build the stand in to the wall as you build it. Typically the drywall is attached directly to the stand and the tank sits flush with the wall. This one is more difficult but I do like the differences.  
I went with option two. Here are a few pics.

In my opinion, if you are confident that you can build a stand by yourself and you have some experience with building a basic wall then you could go with option two. If you are just confident in your wall building skills you could do option 1 and use a stand built by someone else. These are not the only ways to build in wall tanks just two different examples. 
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 5:50pm
I own a sawzall.
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 6:25pm
thanks for the pics and insight nate. I leaning towards option 2 myself as well.

480 in wall in progress
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 8:32pm
I love my in wall. I like option 2 because if there is a shelf around the tank it will get filled with fish stuff and I never liked that. I love the clean look of an in wall. It is like at living picture frame and not just a piece of furniture. 

knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 8:41pm
You might even want to it to wrap around the corner. Here is another one that I did in my old house. The house was only 400sf but I still fit a 150gal in there. It was  in wall but exposed on 2.5 sides (front, 1 side, and 1/2 of the back). It was great but I like only having one viewing panel because it is less work to clean all of the time. 

IMGP0537 by Nate Owen, on Flickr
The stand was also the frame for the wall

IMGP0539 by Nate Owen, on Flickr 
In hind sight maybe I should have used the greenboard they use in bathrooms instead of drywall but It was like that for 4 years and I didn't have any issues with moisture. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic