Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 75 gal money pit (according to my wife)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 75 gal money pit (according to my wife)
    Posted: February 19 2018 at 11:52am
I’ve been wanting to do a saltwater tank for some time, so my wife gave me a 75 gallon drilled tank for Christmas. 👍😀😁👍. I found a stand on KSL for free that had been finished with laminate flooring. Removed the laminate and headed to Lowes. Reskinned it in pine.

Applied 6 coats of urethane, figuring that should hold up to the saltwater and use.

Primed and finished the inside with a good quality, hard finish latex. I was going to use epoxy, but the cost and smell stopped that.

I used a white urethane sealant to seal all the gaps at joints and corners.

Ordered my plumbing and skimmer from BRS.
Skimmer here, https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/essence-s-130-internal-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html
Lights, https://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_LOOP_Marine_Bundle_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Current_USA-CU04300-FILTFILD-vi.html. Jeff, at the fish tank saved me some money on them, THANKS JEFF!!

Plumbing installed,

Filled the tank with water to leak test and zero the water flow in the garage.

All good to go there, time to move it inside.

That’s where i’m at now. Thinking about using rock from reefcleaners.org, anybody use them before?

Here’s the substrate I wanna use. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hawaiian-black-arag-alive-live-reef-sand.html
I’ve been told I would need to dose with calcium, because the black sand doesn’t have enough in it. I also know that black sand isn’t going to be good for light reflectance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 12:26pm
Looking really nice!  Wow.  

A few thoughts...black sand sticks to magnetic algae scrapers.  I will never put black sand in my tank again after scratching my tank.  In that tank, I switched to white sand and I thought the tank looked much, much better.  

Any local fish store can order you rock, even very nice stuff.  However, reefcleaners is a good place to order stuff.  I have always sourced good rock from other hobbyists and I like being able to pick out my pieces.  

I'm not sure what style overflow you're doing, but I highly suggest the herbie method overflow.  Especially if the tank will be in your living room.

WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 1:27pm

It’s the mega overflow that came with the tank. It’s a little noisy, but not as bad as some others i’ve heard. It’s noisy in the Sump, but i’m Sure some rubble will make it quieter.

Edited by WildBill - February 19 2018 at 1:28pm
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2018 at 9:26pm
Started stacking rocks today.

Decided that the Sump was not going to move enough water, so I headed over to the Fish Tank and ordered an Eshoppes R200. It looks like it will do the job nicely      

I will post more pics tomorrow after some glue dries. Made some higher areas for light demanding corals.

On another note, I got to meet a very nice young lady today (WMAS member) that needed some Melafix for her fish. I hope they get better.

Edited by WildBill - March 09 2018 at 9:27pm
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 7:36pm
Got the Sump plumbed. Had a few small leaks and fixed them. She’s purring like a kitten now. 1 bottle of Spira Bio and a few seed rocks and now to let it cycle. FINALLY.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 8:49pm
Looking good. I like how you finished the stand. You could plumb a Herbie overflow without having to drill the tank. The two existing holes act as the main drain and overflow. Then you just reroute the return over the rim of the tank. Herbies are way more quiet. Just an option if you decided that it is making too much noise.
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 9:05pm
Thanks, i’ll Keep that in mind.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 9:59am
What fish are you planning on having? What type of corals do you plan to put in there?
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 1:59pm
Tentative fish stock:
Midas Blenny
Thinking 5 chromis
2 O clowns
2 carpenter Wrasse
Green clown goby?
Tahitian butterfly.

As for corals, still deciding. I’ve been drooling over some over at The Fish Tank. I’m sure Jeff is getting tired of cleaning it off his tanks. 😁😀
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 7:58pm
I do know I want some bam bam’s though.
twolow4law1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twolow4law1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 8:54pm
If you ever come to layton , I'll will give you some bam bams for free.
60 gal rimless , 40 gal rimless
120 gal reef
HOOKED ON SALT WATER   801-682-0477
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 9:03pm
Started the cycle Saturday night, checked parameters yesterday, zero across the board. Checked today, 0 ammonia, 35 nitrites, 7.5 nitrates. Not going to worry about the rest until she is cycled.

I appreciate the offer twolow, and I will keep it in mind. I think it will be about 3-5 months until i’m Ready for corals. I don’t wanna rush things.
Reefer5640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer5640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:54pm
Nice setup looking good
30 g softie, 30 g frag tank, 65 g HT/QT, 75 g mixed reef, 55 g FOWLR, 75 g live rock curing tank, & a 120 gal �consolidation� build in progress
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:02am
Thanks.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:20am
I've never had luck with chromis. I always start with 4 or 5 and then end up with one. At least they are not an expensive fish. I love blennies though, they have so much personality. Bam bams are great and so are most zoas. I love it when they get to be large colonies especially under the blue leds. Patience will get you a long way in this hobby. It can be hard but it is nice to do things the right way. Is this your first saltwater tank?
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:33am
Technically, no. I have a 20 gal seeder tank that I have been using to eat used to a bigger salt. That one has 3 chromis and a blue damsel in it. Also have 1 blue candy cane in it. One thru all the uglies with it along with dyno’s Started it in November. I am looking forward to this tank being setup and running for a while.
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:39am
Does anyone have a par meter? Once I am cycled, I want to measure the light for coral placement.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 10:39am
That's great. You are going to love the 75 gal. It will be so much more stable and allows you to have a wider range of fish and coral. When you are adding coral I would recommend a hammer or frogspawn. I have always loved them. 
Reefer5640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer5640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 12:09pm
I have a seneye you can barrow. You have to download the app but after that it works pretty good. That’s all I use it for anymore. I live in eagle mountain and work in lehi. Don’t know if you’re close enough to make it worth it...
30 g softie, 30 g frag tank, 65 g HT/QT, 75 g mixed reef, 55 g FOWLR, 75 g live rock curing tank, & a 120 gal �consolidation� build in progress
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:58am
Finally cycled. Got the Bluetooth from Current -USA yesterday, along with the hub installed. Hit The Fish Tank for some inverts and they are going to town on the diatoms.

I am actually looking for someone to come over and do the Par readings since I have no idea on what I am doing and maybe help me set the lights where they need to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic