Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Magus A8 skimmer help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Magus A8 skimmer help
    Posted: March 06 2018 at 2:35pm
I’ve got a very lightly stocked 90g tank with a bubble magus A8 skimmer and i can’t seem to get more than a tea colored skimmate out of the skimmer , I’ve tried different water heights in the sump I’ve fiddled with the air intake and with the water exit ports and can’t seem to get more than tea colored skimmate does anyone else have any experience with this skimmer I’ve seen plenty of people pull dark dark skimmate from the curve 7 skimmer and this is the DC motor brother of the curve 7 , my nitrates are very high and it’s not like i don’t have anything that needs to be pulled from the water, I’ve also got my bio pellet reactor connected to the volute of the skimmer to catch the bio film from the bio pellets, I’m stumped any help or advise would be appreciated!!
Thanks !
"He who is one with the sea"
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 3:15pm
How long have you been running it and what was your break-in method? Where is the water level inside the skimmer? Does it produce constantly or only at night?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 3:49pm
I’ve had it for about 8 or 9 months now , for break in i ran it wide open without the collection cup on for about a month ,it sits in about 10” of water manufacturers spec is like 7-10” i think , I’ve raised it to about 8” and no change and water level inside is at the top of the neck and bottom of the collection cup, it produces constantly but takes like 2 or 3 weeks to fill the collection cup, and it’s always very light in color !
"He who is one with the sea"
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 3:57pm
Maybe your water is not that dirty. Have a refugium?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 6:39pm
It sounds like you have it adjusted correctly and there just isn't enough bio load in the system to produce a dark skimmate.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic