Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get tank in house?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get tank in house?
    Posted: March 13 2018 at 7:37pm

So my 135 cube is coming tomorrow and I just realized a problem. How do I get this thing in the house?

It’s 36 x 36 x 36. Our front door and back door is 36 inches.

Anyone have any ideas?

I know something I should have thought of before ordering it.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 8:02pm
Big window and take out the glass? You can cut the door frame out and then rehang it....
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2018 at 8:38pm
Post a pic of both doors?
Electro4112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electro4112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 4:42am
Well if in fact its a 135 gallin cubr it should be 36 x 36 x 24 H and you turn it on its side and slide it in with out much problem since the door is 36 wide
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 8:47am
Your right!

For whatever reason I was thinking it was 36 deep.

Problem solved!

Math!
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 9:37am
I have a 135 and when I bought it the stand was too high to fit out the door. If I would have realized how hard it was going to be to move it I would have passed on the deal. I would recommend that you make your stand short enough to fit out the door. That means that your stand will have to be shorter. (if the stand is already made then your problem is not solved).  Trust  me, one day you will move or sell the tank and the last thing you will want to do is rebuild the stand or tear apart the house. If that is a picture of your setup packaged to ship. it is not a 135. That front panel is square. It would be more like 200 gal if it is 3x3x3 and that stand has some wide trim. You might be taking out a window to get that beast into the house. 

Edited by knowen87 - March 14 2018 at 9:42am
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 11:02am
Did they gift wrap and put a bow on your pallet? So rad. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 11:16am
Ok. Tank is 36 x 36 x 24. No issues there.

Stand is though 36 x 36 x 36 so problem remains.

And yes they gift wrapped it and put a bow on it.

They have been great to work with.
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 11:24am
Pic of the door frame?
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by WildBill WildBill wrote:

Pic of the door frame?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Big window and take out the glass? You can cut the door frame out and then rehang it....
You still have these options...take out a window or a door. if you decide on a door I would pull pull the back door, NOT the big front door.

Edited by sabeypets - March 14 2018 at 1:26pm
Shaun
American Fork
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2018 at 2:13pm

You still have these options...take out a window or a door. if you decide on a door I would pull pull the back door, NOT the big front door.

I think window would be the easiest. How easy is it to take out window panes. It’s a fairly new home built in 2008.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 10:05am
Im not a window expert but no one has responded yet. You can remove some windows without removing the frame but I think that is mostly for windows that open and it is unlikely that you have a large enough opening with a window like that. If you have to take the window frame out then that is usually an involved process. There are tabs on the outside of your window that nail into the house. These tabs hide under the siding of your home. So in order to remove the window you will need to pull back the siding. In fact you will likely need to remove all the siding from that whole wall. If it is a small wall then it should not be too bad but if it is half of your house that would be quite the under taking. I think the door would be easier. Most of the time you just remove the trim on the inside and pop out the casing. I don't know how handy you are but both options can be harder than they seem and you should know what you are doing. Maybe a window company can come help you take it out. I don't  know what it will cost. 
If anyone wants to add to this or correct me that is fine. 

WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 10:15am
If you have vinyl windows, prolly a bigger pain than you want. Movable window won’t be a problem, stationary one will be. Pulling the door frame would be easier all the way around. I’ve been in the construction industry for around 40 yrs. like Sabeypets said, pull the back door.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 11:41am
I don't mess with glass, you would have to call somewhere like Jones paint and glass. I'm guessing they would have to pull the window frame. pulling the door frame would be easier for me.
Another option might be to get a hold of Driftwood Furniture and see if it's recommend to pull the trim off the stand. There again it would be easier for me to pull the door frame than risk the finish on the stand.
Shaun
American Fork
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 12:07pm
Anyone interested in coming over and helping me yank the back door?
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 12:08pm
I can tomorrow. I’ll bring my nail gun and compressor too.

Edited by WildBill - March 15 2018 at 12:26pm
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 8:52pm
How did it go? How does the tank look 
chuckfu5 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by knowen87 knowen87 wrote:

How did it go? How does the tank look 

After FaceTiming Bill so he could get a good look at it it was decided we would try the window. The way the back door is built the entire frame would need to come out.

Currently the tank is still in the garage. 😖
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 10:13pm
Ouch. That's not what you wanted to hear. It is a hard tank to get into your house but the 3x3 footprint does allow for some interesting aquascapes. I did the same thing with another tank of mine. I built the stand by myself and I thought I had everything measured right. When I went to put it in the house I realized that some Trim stuck out too far and it didn't fit. I had to tear off all the trim to get it through the door. It can be easy to forget.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic