Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome Southern Utah Reefers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome Southern Utah Reefers
    Posted: October 02 2005 at 3:42pm

This forum is intended to foster conversation with our club members in the Southern part of the state.  Tracy (P.C Pond buildr) is heading up the efforts of putting together our Southern chapter for club meetings.  You can reach him at [email protected]

I look forward to seeing the club grow, and hope this will help us to help others.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 5:57pm

Welcome as well.  Tracy - I met a lady who came in towards the end of the Tyree visit with some awesome corals.  I think her name was Carrie?  I would love to hook up with her.

What date is the frag trade with Tyree in November?

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 10:17pm

Hi allI am so excited to get a little forum going for the southern Utah crowd. There are getting to be a few of us. So everyone from southern utah check in and introduce yuorself.

Susan, Her name is Kari she is a good friend of mine and Wendys and I am sure she will be along soon to say hi. The tyree frag swap will be once again at our store in november I beleive it is the 11th? I will confirm with frank, I will have a ton of stuff fro frag trade this time...

WMAS resident fathead :)
2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 10:45pm
Tracy,

I have a friend living in St. George that has a 90 gallon reef tank. He has bought several frags from me when he's been up visiting his parents. His name is Jim Speth. I'm sure he's been into your store. Tell him I said "Hello".
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 12:29pm
Shane I do know jim, I expect to see him sometime soon..
WMAS resident fathead :)
2000 gallons of salt.
St George Ut
tropoasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropoasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 11:11am

Our road trip will be on November 12th Saturday

Please PM me to get the availablity list for this trip

Thank you!

Frank

Edited by tropoasis
"Person with large reef tank.....have small wallet"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 8:30am

Tracy said I'd better get on here and say hi!, so I'm on here saying Hi!

Susan, I'm the person you asked about above, would also like to hook up with you because we seem to have the same taste in corals, would love to do some trades. This time I'm hoping to get there at the start instead of the end of the frag swap in Nov, and start fragging pieces long before midnight the night before...hope to have a list and maybe pictures available ahead of time. Last one was the first time I'd done much serious fragging--the corals were screaming, I was screaming, very traumatic for all concerned.. want to give them time to heal this time. I'm in the process of getting a dedicated frag tank set up so I don't have to constantly fish pieces out of the reef rockwork where they fell. I have even more really sweet beasties (micromussas, blastomussas, xtra nice zoos, echinos, and other oddities, + some acros), and need to sell some of it to help pay off the credit card it all went on!

Tracy and Wendy buying the shop down here has been a real treat, there's finally "friends on my block my age I can play with!" Not good (in a good way) for some of us--when you share the same vices you aren't going to rein each other in. We had an inpromptu "coralholics anonymous" meeting convene in reverence around the coral tank after returning from a hand-picking run to the LA wholesalers a few hours before (all the local reefers crawl out of the woodwork  on cue as the polyps were opening from their trip. do we smell new corals in town? "ahhh, the smell of Acros first thing in the morning" as Steve Tyree once said). Tracy commented that he'd had to come to S. Utah and become a dealer to support his coral habit, and I had to laugh and chime in that I had to become a grower to support mine! keeheeheeeee!!!!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 8:55am
This is cool! Welcome, So Utah!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 10:21am
So, why is Jim Speth not active on the MB. He's a computer guy afterall?
coolwheels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolwheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2005 at 12:05am

Hi all,

Tony evans here, I live in laverkin and am the brother of tracy (for good and bad) LOL, he got me into the hobby about a year and a half ago and so far is a great thing. the tank is doing great and all the people in the hobby is great also. I have met some of the northern folks and it was great to put a face to the names. THANK WMAS for a board to post on

Tony Evans
Laverkin,Utah
120 gal w/55 gal refu.
480 gal in the works /w100 gal sump and 100 gal refu.
speth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:29pm
Wahoo!
Stopped by DOC's to get some water and was excited by the news that the southerners had their own message post. (Thanks to all who have made this possible!)

Shane,
    Thanks for keeping tabs on me!  I have changed homes twice in the last 8 month, so the tank has also moved twice. The first move upset a lot of my coral friends.    The most depressing was my large anemone who was about the size of a loose fist and has shrunk to the size of a silver dollar.  He was still alive and very brown so I knew he was getting some food.  However, he kept himself as far under the rocks as he could get, blocking himself from all light.  I though he was lost.  When we moved the second time I had little faith for him.  However he really likes the new house.  After setting up the tank in our current home , he floated around for a few days and has now found a comfortable home in the rocks and is accepting small bits of food by hand from me!  I'm excited to get him growing again.  All of the frags that you have sold me are growing GREAT! Thanks.

Edited by speth
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:14am
Jim,

Welcome to the MB! I heard about your moves and I'm glad to hear you have a few extra bedrooms in case I need a place to stay while in St. George!

Let me know the next time you'll be up this way!

Shane H
speth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:34am
Shane,
    I will be up north this weekend (14,15,16th Oct).  I don't have any great frags ready to trade.  But I would like to see if you have any frags that Sonia would like. 

You are welcome to stay in our home whenever your in town.

Will Trade lodging for FRAGS!!!!!

-Jim
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 10:17am

You are welcome to stay in our home whenever your in town.

Will Trade lodging for FRAGS!!!!!

Open that up to the club and you'll receive lots of frags.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
speth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 1:04pm
Now Open
Speth Frag collection agency.

Right now you need to bring sleeping bags, but if you have a referance from the Presidency you are welcome to stay in our home.  You can even have your own private room and bath. hahaha  All payed for by the power of life given in FRAGS!

Will Trade Lodging for FRAGS!!!  or small uses tanks (120 gl or bigger hahaha)

Edited by speth
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:05pm

I think it is funny that there are more "northerns" posting to the "southerns" forum then southerns.

So where are we drawing the line?  I'm still trying to figure out where I fit in to the whole scheme of things.....

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 5:49pm
Well currently I'm a northern reefer, but during the summer months I move back home to cedar city.  So I think I classify as both
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 10:20am
Kull,

I don't fit in either. I run a plenum, use tar ballasts, and refuse to pay $200 for a frag of anything.

Fortunatly, I know enough of those people who do fit in to fake it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic