Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clown staying in top corner of tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheGolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clown staying in top corner of tank
    Posted: April 06 2018 at 8:39pm
I am brand new to the hobby and have just added my first fish, a clown.  My tank is at the tail end of cycling and is looking good.  However, the clown will only hang out in a top corner of the tank, just behind my ATL and away from the return pump flow.  It seems bugged by any water movement and wants to hide, but I don't know why it doesn't use the rock below.  It feeds well and swims around a tad when the pumps are off during feedings or other times.  A store employee said that this isn't completely uncommon and when I am ready for an anemone, to introduce the fish to it by using a strainer and hope that the fish will like it and go to it once it is in the tank.  Is my fish ok? It has only been 3 days since the fish has been in the tank so maybe he is just feeling things out.  What can I do to make him more comfortable and feel like he can swim around an use the whole tank and use the rocks to get cover rather than the top corner.  I just feel he is nervous about something.  #paranoidrookie
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 8:36am
I would not worry about it to much. There are a few clowns I know that prefer to stay in the corners. I would just give it some more time and see what he does. Can you tell us some more about your setup? How big is it? How long have you had it set up? What type of equipment do you have?
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 10:25am
Couple of questions:
Is it the only fish? If the fish is getting picked on , it will sometimes hide in the top corner.
What are you ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate levels? If any of those are too high, the fish will sometimes hang out in the corner. Google new tank syndrome.
How much flow? If the flow is too strong, it will sometimes hang out in the corner where the flow isn’t as strong.
High big is the clown? If it’s a little clown, it will sometimes hang out in the corner because it’s more comfortable there.

Item of note, if it’s hanging out near the top, I would recommend getting a cover for the top of your tank. I’ve had clowns that hang out at the top and when they got spooked, they jump out of the water. A Top will prevent that.

Let’s see some pics of the tank and setup!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 11:30pm
sounds pretty normal for a newly introduced clown

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
TheGolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 2:59pm
Thank you everyone. Already the clown is doing a lot better and is exploring a little more.  I have a 30 gallon, nano, all in one.  My ammonia levels are at zero but my nitrates are like 20ish for now.  I had a pretty good diatom bloom so hoping that will die down soon.  The clown is the only fish so far, just testing him out.  I do need to get a lid for sure.  I think I am a little over 3 weeks into my cycle.  First time ever having a tank.

I'll try to get some photos up
TheGolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 3:04pm
How do I post a photo? Not seeing an attachment buttom
Reefer5640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer5640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 7:28pm
If you are doing it from your phone at the bottom of this page where you would post a reply; hit the diagonal arrow icon farthest to the right next to the underline icon. That will take you to another page to post your reply with more options like emojis and attachments. Hit the icon of a tree with an arrow on it. That will take you to another page where you can browse you photo gallery. From there you just select the pic you want... this is how I do it anyway. I’m sure there is a better way to get it done but this is how I do it...
30 g softie, 30 g frag tank, 65 g HT/QT, 75 g mixed reef, 55 g FOWLR, 75 g live rock curing tank, & a 120 gal �consolidation� build in progress
Reefer5640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer5640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 7:30pm
Or just hit post reply and it will take you right to the screen with emojis and attachment icons (tree with arrow)
30 g softie, 30 g frag tank, 65 g HT/QT, 75 g mixed reef, 55 g FOWLR, 75 g live rock curing tank, & a 120 gal �consolidation� build in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic