Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All this water!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All this water!
    Posted: April 08 2018 at 9:15pm
Guys, Here's a riddle for you. I have water under the foam that my tank sits on. I have foam under my stand so i don't put prints in the floor AND so I can balance the tank and keep it flat and not at an angle. #Uneven floorboards. There is wood between the two pieces of foam to help with the balancing. Those pieces of wood (all 4 of them that are at the corners) are wet. I've looked to see if it's condensation from the windows but it is salt not fresh that's on my floor. I've shined the flashlight around the sump, behind the tank and at the bottom of the tank exposed at the top of the stand. No water leakage anywhere! Where is this water coming from?  
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 10:40pm
Can you post some pics so we can get an idea of you setup?
William Rogers
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 6:40am
Do you have power cords - from under water - that go downward after going over the edge of the tank or sump? Sometimes they can create a syphon that trickles water out. Or it could be from when you clean or feed. Do you ever see water on the glass? Or a leaky seal. How old is the tank? Or does your overflow fail to move enough water at times? Or a power head pushes water over the edge? The last two can happen only when a snail or something gets in the way, so you might not see it happening.

Edited by MadReefer - April 09 2018 at 7:17am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 7:57am
MadReefer, I'm unsure about the chords though my instinct tells me no as I have a tendency to zip tie loose chords. I'm a neat freak. No water on the glass, I'd have to be a messy feeder for that amount of water to be on the floor. Interestingly enough though my return pump stopped working last night. That's how I noticed all the water on the floor. The tank is 5 months old and I tested it before adding anything in it. I haven't seen or heard any water splashing as I try to keep the powerheads under the waterline about 3 ish inches pointing up to cause surface agitation but again, no water on the glass.

Wrogers, what photos would you like to see?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 8:56am
Bottom or corner of the sump? Skimmer overflow? Reactor return line to the sump? Those are all things that can do what you describe and not really show signs of the leak when looking with a flashlight.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 8:01pm
I figured out what was going on! Stupid bulkhead!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 9:05pm
Glad you found it. I usually think of bulkheads as solid until you mess with them. I hope it holds for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic