Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnet algae cleaning question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnet algae cleaning question
    Posted: April 29 2018 at 6:58pm
Hey everyone.
Just wondering if anyone used anything special when cleaning to get that tough little brown spots of algae that don't come off.
I have a great white magnet and it's great. Also have some of that abrasive plastic like scrubber pad that I can put under it for the brown stuff and it's strength last about one pass then it's done on the brown stuff.
Yes I know I can get in there with a scrapper or blade. Just looking for something with the magnet option.
Thanks in advance.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 7:26pm
Flipper magnet cleaner works great and had a scraper for those tough spots and you don't have to take it out of the water to flip it over.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:09pm
I use the flipper routinely, and yearly have to get out the razor.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 2:20pm
I have the tunze algae scraper. I got the large one. I love this cleaner because the only part that touches the glass are the blades. That means that it will not be able to pick up sand like some of the other ones. It also has a very small form factor so it looks good when you leave it on the glass. The blades do a good job removing all of the hard brown stuff and even smaller specs of coraline algae. The outside magnet does not cover the view of the blades so it makes it easier to see what you are trying to scrape off.  There is the option to use a metal blade but I have not put it on yet. There is so much that I like about this magnet.  
Wrogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 4:46am
I use the flipper
William Rogers
Jesterrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesterrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 1:47am
I use a small mag float that seems to work pretty well.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic