Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dosing vs calcium reactor ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dosing vs calcium reactor ??
    Posted: June 13 2018 at 9:34am
I have been running a calcium reactor for 6 months or so now and it really took a while to get it tuned in and running correctly. I just ran out of CO2 and I am trying to decide if I want to keep with the reactor or try just dosing 2 part.

What are the pros and cons to each?

what experiences have you had with either one?
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 10:37am
I run both. The reactor for maintaining a constantly dosed amount to reduce fluctuations and a dosing put to allow for increases when needed.

This makes it nice for when I'm not at home I can just have someone test and then I can adjust it remotely using my Apex if needed without having to tell someone how much to add or worry about them dumping too much in at once.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 2:03pm
the CO2 tank I got with my system is for medical purposes only so no one will refill it for me. anyone have one for sale or know where to get one
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 2:52pm
Amazon sells co2 thanks. Sometimes they have to be recertified.

I have used both. Switched to calcium reactor, I will never go back to dosing. With dosing you are chasing both numbers.

With calcium reactor, you really only need to worry about alk.

Don't do the drip method either. Steady stream and adjust the ph in reactor accordingly to match tank demands
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 2:55pm
Nick tenny had a couple tanks for sale.

Edited by kevin.st - June 15 2018 at 2:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic