Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

physically moving tank advice (480G)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: physically moving tank advice (480G)
    Posted: August 08 2018 at 5:41pm
So the time has come that my 480g 8x3x2.5 glass aquarium is coming in from coast to coast.... and i have no idea how im gonna move it. It probably has to go less than 30 feet but it has to go down a little slope through a window (60x48) into the room in the basement where its finally destination is. its roughly 1k lbs  and 500lbs for the stand. Im not super worried about the stand, as its not glass and has much easier ways of lifting. so does anyone have any good advice? do i rent like 10 sets of suction cups @50$ a piece? do i find 10 to 12 people and use straps?
480 in wall in progress
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 9:29am
Dave, I don't know....but I can be there to help.  Please call or text me as I am not on here all the time.

385-831-8982
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 2:28pm
I'll help if I'm avail, BTW some of the LFS will loan you their suction handles but will charge you replacement value until they are returned in the condition you borrowed them in.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 5:53pm
You could talk with Aquatic Dreams. Have them move it for you, if they will.
Will cost a pretty penny, but cheaper then replacement tank
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 7:30pm
lol i already have it insured

480 in wall in progress
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 8:27pm
when i figure out exactly how and when im gonna do this, ill reach out to you guys
480 in wall in progress
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 9:20am
Chad Carter used to move tanks, not sure if he still does.  What you may want to do is reach out to Chad just for advice. You will need a lot of people and suction cups I think would be critical.  The next question is will you need to remove a window or banister?
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 10:28am
its going to have to go through a window for sure.
480 in wall in progress
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 3:31pm
Chad carter did mine. Upgrade your reef is his company
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 8:33pm
Hold on....

Your tank is insured?
How is that?
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 9:24am
I called and had it added to my house insurance... has no one does this? also... its showing up this afternoon, so im shooting for a potential Saturday mid morning install.
480 in wall in progress
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by nsfw dave nsfw dave wrote:

I called and had it added to my house insurance... has no one does this?

Nope

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 9:51pm

So i borrowed suction cups from Chad and Aquatic Dreams. Had 8 guys including myself, and we just moved it a few feet at a time... through the window onto a couple hydraulic tables.. lifted and slid into place. While extremely nerve racking, it might have been easier to move than my 210.. but i didnt have suction cups then. Anyway.. there it is. (with the obligatory "in tank" shot.)
480 in wall in progress
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 4:49am
Nice work!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 3:02pm
Awesome. I hope you let me come see it when you get it stocked.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 8:34am
That is a serious tank!
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 12:16pm
thanks guys.. itll probably be a long while still before its up and running. I still have design the rest of the fish room and acquire the appropriate hardware and plumbing. but maybe by next years reef tour.
480 in wall in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic