Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie need coral recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mk4wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk4wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie need coral recommendations
    Posted: August 11 2018 at 11:55am
Hey guys, can't remember if I've introduced myself yet or not because the last time I was on here was months ago. I just bought my first saltwater tank yesterday off KSL. Its a 16 gallon Biocube and the guy I bought it from had it running with fish in it, so he claims that it is cycled.

I currently have 0 livestock, but am really excited to get some. What coral would you recommend for a complete saltwater beginner like myself? 

I'm currently thinking zenia will be the easiest, but I also heard it spreads like wildfire. I do want some zoas eventually too.
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 1:21pm
I would suggest some candy cane and Favias to start.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 8:21am
I think zoas are a great starter coral. They have been relatively forgiving to me and are some of the most colorful corals you can get. I would also recommend to go light on how many fish you put into a 16 gal tank. Maybe just a clownfish and a goby or something. You'll only create headaches if you overstock a small tank. 
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 9:08am
While there are lots of good beginner corals, id suggest you do some research on what you like first. A lot of people will recommend Green Star Polyps or Xenia as a great beginner coral. And it is. its bullet proof. But its also invasive and will take over. Like another user suggested, i'd start off with some candy canes (they come in lots of colors), maybe a toadstool, or some zoanthids or palys. Make sure when you get zoanthids or palys that you get the varieties that aren't invasive. Generally the ones to stay away from are the nuclear green palys, common brown button polyps, yellow palys. They grow fast, and you'll be tired of them when you get more colorful corals.

Once you want to get into more intermediate corals i'd suggest favias/favites, some euphyllia like frogspawns, and hammers, and maybe even some beginner SPS like monti caps, and birdsnests.

Good luck! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic