Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please.!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please.!
    Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:24am

So I set up my new 55 gallon with some live rocks and dry sand. It been running for over 2 months and still look cloudy. I tested my Nitrite, Nitrate, Amonia, and they all 0. I also use filter socks, skimmer, as well as running GFO and actived carbon. Water change every week for 10%. Do any of you guys have any ideas?

Edited by Hugo - October 30 2018 at 10:27am
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 12:42pm
I think that this is likely your nitrifying bacteria in the water column. How much live rock do you have? I have had this struggle before and more rock + better skimming +increased water changes got rid of the issue. 
Are you getting skimmate out of the water? If  so is is dark or transparent? 
Do you have fish in there?
Are you adding food or nutrients? if so, how much?

If you like your aquascape and dont want more rock then I would add some marine pure spheres to give all of that bacteria a place to land. 

Edited by knowen87 - October 30 2018 at 12:45pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 2:03pm
Did you ever see your numbers increase above 0 or have you been doing water changes and running all of those filters and media since day one?

If you've never seen numbers of Nitrates then you may be seeing debris due to bacterial die off from starvation. This could also indicate that your sand was not rinsed well before being put in the tank and your flow inside the tank is releasing the dust into the water column.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 3:17pm
Two months?!
What happens if you turn off all pumps for 48 hours?
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 5:09pm
Does it have a sump? Can you run a filter sock to try to catch anything flowing around.
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 7:25pm
@I should ve checked my numbers at first when I started, but I did not. I run everything like GFO, carbon, skimmer, and use filter socks down in my sump since I started to run the system. Right now have 1 tail-spot gobby, 1 fire shrimp, 1 purple fire fish, cleaning screws, and they all do just fine.
I try to reduce the NO2, NO3 and Amonia, so I feed my fish every other day with a small amount of pellets fish food. I also add Dr. Tim bacterial once every 2 weeks to increase the good bacteria (as it says). I also tried to run the tank with only the pump and no power head for 2 weeks and nothing has happend.

Edited by Hugo - October 30 2018 at 7:45pm
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 7:34pm
@knowen: I use buble magus curve 7 so I usually have to dumpt it out every 2 or 3 days. My kimmate often yellowish, but somtimes it gets dark too. I have bought a big chunk of marine pure sphere but I have heard that its gonna melt down and make a mess in your sump after a while of use, so I dont dare to use it.

@Adam: I havent done that. I have feather algea down in my sump. Will it be ok if I turn the pump of for 2days ?

@Hogie: I have everything set up at the first day.

Edited by Hugo - October 30 2018 at 7:35pm
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 7:55pm
Are you dosing a full amount of Dr Tim's? It sounds like you are skimming quite a bit if stuff out for only having two little fish. I would bet that it is the Dr Tims. If you have some live rock and the water has been in there several weeks you have enough bacteria for the fish. I think you have too much bacteria in the water, the last thing you want to do is add more.
I have dealt with too many particulates in the sand before and the skimmate came out with a chalky residue and the problems didn't last that long. 
My suggestion is 1) Stop dr tims for now. 2) do as big of a water change as you can manage. 3) keep skimming as much as you can to reduce bateria populations. 4) add the marine pure for more surface area. I have had mine in for close to a year and they have not melted. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 8:11pm
I like what @knowen87 says. I would also add that if you have a UV sterilizer you could run that and it will help remove a bacterial bloom. 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:15pm
I’ll start it tomorrow. Big thank for all advices, guys .!
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:21pm
By the way, I bought a big triangle marine pure from BRS. It is 12inch long, 10inch height and about 5 inch thick. Will it still be ok if i cut it to a smaller size to fit it in my sump ? In addition, when you leave the marine pure in your sump, do u have to take it out and rinse it one in a while, or you just leave it there til something happen ?

Edited by Hugo - October 30 2018 at 10:23pm
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 9:47am
I would treat the marine pure block like it is a rock. Just put it in the sump and leave it there. You can cut them to fit that is fine. Let us know if this clears up for you. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 1:20pm
I don't rinse my marine pure blocks but I do use a powerhead to blow them off with sump water from time to time to clear any settled detritus. Don't remove them as that kills some of the bacteria that make them useful.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hugo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 8:43pm
Tks you guys. I will go try it.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 12:32pm
How is you tank doing now?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 1:37pm
Yes, curious as well.
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic