Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resolved -- Totally Dead Apex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resolved -- Totally Dead Apex
    Posted: December 08 2018 at 1:02pm
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've chatted here, Tank has been stable and things have just been chugging along like they do.

However last weekend I started getting alerts from fusion that my Apex wasn't talking. The controller was non-responsive so I unplugged the thing and power cycled it. But when I plugged it in again nothing. No controller, no web interface, nothing at all.

Support call to Neptune and they tried their tools to reset the firmware, find it on the network, etc... still nothing. They are getting me an RMA but haven't guessed at the cost (I'm out of my 1-year warranty). 

My EB8 came up in fallback mode so pumps, skimmer, wavemaker etc were on, but lights, heaters were not. I'm cycling my lights the manual way right now -- pluggin and unplugging them each morning/evening. That gets pretty tiring though, and I don't trust my heaters to their own internal thermostats, I like having the double failsafe so I don't cook my tank.

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice or anything on what I can do in the meantime until my RMA is complete? I saw MasterJ's post about selling his Apex parts and I wish I knew what the RMA would cost. otherwise $150 for a new controller might be a better deal? 

Sorry for the ramble, i'm just frustrated with a failure that I feel so helpless to do anything about. Thanks for reading Embarrassed

Edited by Baghtal - January 19 2019 at 8:08pm
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 2:21pm
I'm guessing from your post that this is an apex classic and not a new 2016  version. If that is the case then I had one out of warranty that was replaced for $130 earlier this year. I bought a used one that I'm waiting to get here just to have a backup now.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 11:07am
Yes, it is the classic. Thanks for the reply. $130 doesn't seem so bad now that i've been switching plugs and manually doing things for a week. I'm ready to pay it to go back to not worrying about things!

Thanks!
~Albert Einstein
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 8:07pm
Back up and running. Neptune only charged $50 in the end. Said they needed to replace an internal component... but nothing more specific than that.

Not too bad, they also paid for return shipping which was unexpected and very nice.
~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic