Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulsing Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulsing Xenia
    Posted: January 04 2019 at 11:43am
Hello all,

So I am setting up a new 5 gal Picos tank, and I was at some point thinking about putting some Xenia in the tank, because I love the pulsing of them and the movement they create. In how I think I want the tank, which it has no rock in it right now, but I want to build kinda a tower like structure off to one side and use the Xenia, kinda centralized in the middle. My concern is that I know Xenia grows like a weed, which is why most people don't use it. While I could trim it and frag it out, I would rather not have to if I can control it some how. I have heard mention, that you can put other corals outside the area where the Xenia grows and it will somewhat corral it from growing out further? How true is this, and does it apply to all coral types, or only specific ones? I was thinking if I could put maybe a duncan below it, and something like a Frogspawn, Octo, or hammer above it, they some like Zoa or GSP to the sides of it, it would look nice. 

Never dealt with this coral, so any information would be helpful. All forums I read really just trash on Xenia's so I would really like constructive information that would really help me determine if I am going to ruin my tank by putting this fast growing coral in there or if it will work out nicely.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 12:42pm
No one?
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 8:54am
If you have Facebook look up the group “Utah Reef Keepers”. It’s very active and I’m sure you’ll find Xenia. I had a tank with it in there that I tore down.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Kromlech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kromlech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:09am
It's not that its hard to find, I am more or less trying to find the best constructive way to control it without cutting it out if possible, if not I will just deal with it.
50.3 AIO Waterbox
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:37am
Oh I see. In that case you cannot control it. Bottom line. It’ll be waterborne and move around the tank without it physically touching anything.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 7:47am
In my experience it grows upward. So if you can put it on a rock island, it may stay there. Little pieces will fall off and need to be picked up.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 11:58am
I agree with MadReefer
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic