Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February Meeting Crinoids w/Forest Gahn - Event Date: February 07 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: February Meeting Crinoids w/Forest Gahn
    Posted: January 10 2019 at 9:26am
This is what Forest will be discussing w us on the 7th:

“Successful crinoid-keeping: Lessons from specimens in aquaria, the wild, and fossils.
Forest J. Gahn, Brigham Young University—Idaho, Department of Geology
Crinoids, known in the aquarium industry as “feather stars”, are animals related to starfish, sea urchins, and sea cucumbers. Although they are fairly common in reef environments, and arguably among the most beautiful marine invertebrates, they are rare in aquaria, in part because they are considered very difficult to keep alive. This is somewhat ironic given that these “living fossils” have survived through every mass extinction since their origin in Earth’s oceans about 480 million years ago. Moreover, they are able to tolerate a wide array of marine environments, from tidal pools to the abyssal plain.
Critical to keeping crinoids alive in aquaria is understanding their biology and ecology, which may be achieved by studying them in the wild and in fossil assemblages. Synergistically, keeping them healthy in aquaria provides additional opportunities for understanding their biology and evolutionary ecology. I have kept crinoids with increasing success over the past decade. Whereas the first specimens lived only a few months, more recent additions have lived for nearly three years (and running). Lessons learned from studying crinoids in the wild and in the fossil record have contributed to this increase in successful crinoid-keeping.
For example, many fossil crinoids are preserved with attached parasites, and among some species of living crinoids, every individual hosts parasitic organisms (and other epibionts). Not only do these parasites compromise the health of the crinoids, they also attract unwanted attacks by predators. Nearly every crinoid I have examined from marine livestock vendors has contained at least one parasite. These mostly include various polychaete worms and small crustaceans. Successfully locating and removing these parasites from crinoids before introducing them to your aquarium will increase their chances of survival. In addition, some tank inhabitants, including wrasses, damsels, and even sea urchins, may attack or even consume whole crinoids. Although crinoids have remarkable regenerative abilities, successful regeneration and healing is energetically expensive and likely to fail without regular target feeding, which may lead to unacceptable levels of nutrient loading in most marine aquaria. Consequently, nonphotosynthetic aquaria likely provide the most suitable habitat for the successful husbandry of crinoids.”
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 2:46pm
Someone ask him what specific food he'd recommend for keeping them in captivity.

Thanks
Adam

Seaquest Banquet
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 4:01pm
Do you have a feather star in your lab?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:27pm
Can easily get them. Would consider it if Forest suggested I do. Would love some insight on what new findings we have. For a couple years I've thought about them.

Adam
Seaquest Banquet
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 6:06pm
Then Adam, I highly recommend you come to the meeting. I know Fish 4 U carries them on the regular.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:32pm
I'm also speaking that night, so I'll miss this.
Fish 4 U carries them? Surprising.

Adam
Seaquest Banquet
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 9:21am
Adam, yes. I was just there last night and they had a red one.
Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 7:30am
Can someone update this with the 13 steps he gave for keeping them? I can remember some of them but not all of them.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 8:54am
I'll do that after 1 today. And I'll post them here.
Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 2:35pm
Bump. I am still interested in this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic