Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Platinum clownfish pair not fully acclimated??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platinum clownfish pair not fully acclimated??
    Posted: March 20 2019 at 2:54am
Hello so I was just wondering about these new clownfish I just got recently if they are going to be okay or not??.. so I've been out of the saltwater hobby for years like 7 years or so. I also was a member on this site years ago as well but I guess they couldn't find my info when I tried logging in so I had to make a whole new account... But anyways I couldn't stay away from the hobby much longer I've been itching to start up a new tank for years now, and I finally got did so recently..well it's not the tank size I really wanted to do if I ever got back into it but it's better then not having one at all right?? Lol.So I started off with one of those fluval 5 gallon Evo tanks they are actually pretty cool but after running it for a like a week or so o decided to go with a little bit bigger tank and since I couldn't find the bigger Evo one which is like the 16 gal or something I think I just went with a 20 gallon high tank and so I moved everything from that 5 gal and into this new 20..

I used bio spira to start the 5 gallon and used the rest of the bottle I had remaining in my new 20 I also added some seachems stability so I was sure I had enough bacteria so I didn't have to wait months and months to start adding stuff to the tank... I also used a bag of live sand and got some live rock as well.. and before I added these Platinum clownfish I tested my water and made sure the ammonia,and nitrites we're down but I had a tiny bit of nitrates .. so I did the acclimation slowly and everything was fine but the clownfish never really explored around the tank much they just stayed in this corner behind the rocks...it also took them about 2 days to finally start eating something and the only reason why they've been eating so far is cause I've been using the garlic extreme and soaking their brine shrimp in it..
so my question is is this normal behavior or are they like still acclimating or getting themselves used to the tank still? They've just been in that same spot for more then a week now it's like they ar scared still and they wont leave that little corner they like to stay in... I was starting to think maybe what if they were like spawning or laying some eggs or something and that's the reason why they won't leave that spot? Also they will only eat the brine shrimp if it comes directly to them they wont swim out of their way to get it
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 8:45am
Give them some time. Try to feed them close to where they stay so you dont overfeed the tank with all the feed they dont eat. Eating food is a good sign
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 11:38pm
I figured since they've been in the tank more then a week now they would be more comfortable but idk what's going on hopefully it's nothing bad they look very healthy... Oh also I forgot to mention that during the acclimation process and it came time to throw them in I put the first one in by putting my hand into the bag and cupping him softly and then when I did the bigger one of the pair he jumped or flipped out of my hand and landed on this hard plate I had on the floor it landed pretty hard by the sound of it but i immediately grabbed him and threw him in as quickly a possible. He seemed a little out of it for a second and he had a bunch of dust sand stuck to him from whatever was on that plate he landed on.. but I felt so bad it was the worst feeling ... But like I said he seems to be doing okay no visible signs of anything wrong they have been eating the once a day that I have been feeding them with carnivorous mixture and soaked in garlic extreme.. the only concern is them just staying in that one area of the tank behind all the rocks
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 9:30am
give them some more time and they should get better. As long as they look ok and are eating a little they could still be acclimating to their new surroundings after 1 week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic