Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dont know where to start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
findingnemo9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote findingnemo9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dont know where to start
    Posted: March 31 2019 at 2:38pm
i just moved and have to restart my tank and thought about making it a salt water tank. i have never had a salt water tank and dont know where to start. help please.
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 8:08pm
First thing, start with doing a lot of research before setting it up.
What kind of tank you planning, FOWLER or reef? How bigs your tank?
There is several places to start your research. Reef2reef.com and Fishlore.com are both great places to start your research. Ask all the questions you want, i’m Sure there’s someone here and both those places can answer your questions. Make friends with someone at the LFS, i’m Sure they will be glad to pass along knowledge to you too.
You have a great place to get food for your fish and corals not to fat from you. Brine Shrimp Direct. Check them out on the web.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 1:59pm
I would add that there are several reefing channels that explain good ways to setup a saltwater fish tank. Bulk reef supply has tons of great videos. You just have to keep in mind that they are selling supplies and you don't always have to buy everything out there. Their World Wide Corals series has been good in my opinion. If you are not 100% sure what you want to do, you can dabble with a fish only system. That's what I started with. I had a pair of clowns in a 30 gal with some live rock. It was a great starting point. Used items are cheap. you can get used LED lights pretty cheap and they will do a good job. If you are ever in Logan you can come by and see my tank and we can talk about more things. 435-890-3618
findingnemo9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote findingnemo9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 9:46pm
i have a 29 gallon tank and was hoping to do a reef tank but might do what you recommend and start small with just live rock and fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic