Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef-Pi Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef-Pi Build
    Posted: April 01 2019 at 10:34am
My controller died, and I didn't want to shell out a whole ton of money for a new one.  I was running a digital aquatics which is no longer making controllers.

I decided to try out a Raspberry Pi and install Reef-Pi.

All I was using the DA for was Temp and PH monitoring.

I have built out the temp and PH monitoring using the Raspberry Pi and it is pretty slick.

I actually like it a lot more than what DA had with reef keeper lite.

I plan to add in additional functionality, I'll be adding in the controllers to control the heater and lighting.

I'm looking at how to add a probe for specific gravity of the water.

I currently have a PH probe and two temp probes running.

The cost on this build is as follows:
Raspberry pi with sd card $20
temp probe $10 X 2  (I had to buy new probes as they need to be digital and DA had an analog probe)
PH chip $40

parts $20

I am using the old ph probe from the DA.

So I am in this about $100

I plan to spend another $80 to get the lighting and heating modules wired and working, I might be able to do it cheaper I'll let you know.

If people are interested I can share the whole build and steps to reproduce this
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:44am
Yes, please share with us.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 12:06pm
This is really cool!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 11:58pm
I am currently working on the same thing. I have a pi zero w currently running that is dosing calcium and alkalinity. It was monitoring temperature and notifying me by email when it went outside a given range. The probe started to rust so I removed it until I can cover it with silicone.

I am working on a new pi controller that I am hoping to have monitor temperature, auto topoff, dose calcium, alk, magnesium. I am also hoping to implement auto water changes using 2 other dosing pumps, and control a few outlets using a relay. I have all the parts I am just trying to design a box I can 3d print to house it all.

Anyway, it's a fun project. I would be happy to help if you want/need any.

As a side note, I bought some cheap Chinese temperature probes 5 for $15 and so far they have worked great for me.

I am curious to hear how the pH module works for you. It sounded expensive so I was holding off until I saw results from others.
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 9:45am
Im, scavenging the ph probe from my DA unit. so no cost, I cut the connectors out of the old  housing.
I ordered some calibration solution and will get back to you, also I ordered a 2nd probe from amazon.

The piece that was expensive is the ph chip from EZO it was $40.

I'll let you know how it goes.
I plan to get the whole build posted this weekend.  Temp and Ph so far, I'll add relays and power switches next.

I just like having something to do, I may try to scavenge the relay parts from the DA as well...  not sure yet.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 9:45am
DA is digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite, mine quit working, that is why I'm doing this...

150 G Reef
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

I have a pi zero w currently running that is dosing calcium and alkalinity. It was monitoring temperature and notifying me by email when it went outside a given range. The probe started to rust so I removed it until I can cover it with silicone.

Kevin, did you end up using Reef-Pi for all of that?  I've been thinking about getting back into the Reef hobby and was considering programming my own controller.  I haven't looked into Reef Pi yet so I don't know what its capabilities are.  I like the idea of programming my own for the Geek factor but I'll probably start out with something like Reef Pi to get up and running.  I have a few Pi's at home just sitting around.  Wink
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by redleader redleader wrote:

DA is digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite, mine quit working, that is why I'm doing this...

Yeah mine was a glorified light timer at the end.  Going to be my Xmas list light timer this year!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 2:53pm
We are in discussions of doing a Saturday excursion on this.  Post if you have any interest in joining.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 8:55pm
Yes I am currently using it for dosing and temperature monitoring. I have been dosing with it for about 2 months. I hope to have the temp monitor back up in next week.

Edited by Kevin - April 04 2019 at 8:55pm
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2019 at 11:43am
Having a bit of trouble getting the PH controller to work.  I think I'll get it figured out this weekend.

The temp probe works awesome and has a great web interface.

the temp probe can be created in a about an hour.

the most time is spent getting the reef pi ready, downloading and installing the os and Reef-pi software.

Once that is done the bread board circuit for the temp probe is really easy.

150 G Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic