Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Please help with identifying Anemone good or bad??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help with identifying Anemone good or bad??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help with identifying Anemone good or bad??
    Posted: April 08 2019 at 2:32am
Hello so when I bought some live rocks when I first setup my tank more then a month ago now there so happened to be some Anemones attached to the both of the live rocks that I really wanted and so the lady tried to get them off but could not.. they even tried to tell me that I would probably have to pay extra for them and I told them that I didn't even really want them because either they would probably die since I was just barely starting my tank that day... Well they didn't end up charging me cause they couldn't get them off and they was really small anyways... so the lady wasn't even sure what kind of anemones they were to begin with lol she even called her manager and a few other workers came to help and everyone had a totally different answer one thought it was maybe a baby long tentacle and the other thought it was just a small bubble tip and one of the managers thought it was possibly a mini carpet I chuckled and said there's no way it's a carpet or even a long T...

Anyways long story and fast forward to now the anemones made it thru the cycle and are still alive today.. although they went thru some bad times where I thought they was for sure gonna die..they looked really nice at first but after awhile the started losing color and shape.. but o cannot tell if they are baby bubble tips or those bad majano kind?? I read some stuff about this exact situation and one person said one good way to tell if it's a bubble tip is it will have white line markings around the mouth area.... And so when I checked to see if mine had it they both did... Another thing they said if it's a bad pest kind that you would be able to tell right away because it would spread quickly and I'd start noticing more well so far I haven't noticed any kind of splitting or any popping up anywhere else so far..
So I figured that they were both just bubble tipped anemones but my friend had recently just bought a really nice green bubble tip a tiny bit bigger then mine and it looks nothing like mine.. the BTA has like nice marble swirl marks around the tentacles and just look more translucent in a way... But it's weird cause when I look up pics of other majano anemones most look way different then what I have and then some look identacle to mine so that's why I wanna know what you guys thought because if they are bad I would like to get rid of both right away before they become a bigger problem
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 2:33am
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 2:33am
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 2:34am
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 8:14am
Looks like a majano anemone to me. When I first started keeping a reef tank I used to be excited to see new things that I did not know. I remember being excited about red bubble algae, aptasia, and asterina starfish. Majanos can get out of hand. I would recommend you remove it.If you like an anemone then you should go get one that will not take over your tank. Rock flower anemones sit close to the rock and have even more color. But you should know what you see in your tank. Some things are very hard to get rid of after they have multiplied

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:00pm
I can see why the store was undecided. Logically and from your description, it for sure sounds like a majano, but the pics do look a little bit different from majano's I've seen and had. But it doesn't look like other anemones either.    
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:13pm
So are majanos supposed to be like aiptasia ones or basically just like any other pest nuisance in our tanks being that they quickly multiply pretty fast... And that's the thing these ones have not split or I haven't noticed any other ones popping up yet and the tank has been up about 2 months now and these guys have been in there since day one lol

I'd just hate to kill them if they are a bubble tip or something...
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:15pm
This is a pretty good post about them but it left me even more confused because I still cannot tell if they are BTA or majano
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 12:20pm
So if it is a pest anemone how should I go about killing it?

knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 1:08pm
definitely not a bubble tip. even a baby one does not bubble at the tips like that. I would recommend that you tear it off with some tweezers or bone cutters and then cover what is left with epoxy or super glue. If you want an anemone go buy one so you know what it is. It is rare that a hitch hiker in this hobby is a good thing. Especially a hardy hitchhiker that makes it through the cycles of a new tank.

sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 1:33pm
or if possible, and easier solution is just to pull out the rock that its on. 
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 8:19pm
I thought it was a green bubble tip. Kind of what it looks like to me.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 10:12pm
I'd for sure want it, and try to grow it.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 3:18pm
Do you want it? I'll give you both they are really nice and healthy I've been feeding them lol
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 7:21pm
Of course I do.  I'll put them in a tap water tank and you'll all be jealous.
Where are you located?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic