Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So is it safe and ok to use Tap water for your tan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So is it safe and ok to use Tap water for your tan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So is it safe and ok to use Tap water for your tan
    Posted: April 09 2019 at 3:25pm
So I live in West valley was just wondering if you guys think using tap water is okay? I've always used it whenever I did my water changes I always used prime as well... I used to try and use ro water in the like gallons from the store and I even used to go fill up my 5 gallon containers and get rodi water from the fish stores but after awhile id always end up just using tap water because of all the hassels of having to go get water all the time etc...

But I hear good and bad things all the time some people say it's ok and fine to use others will say never use it
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 5:59pm
Depends what comes through your tap water. Adam Blundell used to use it with no problems.

With the amount of money in my tank, using rodi, just makes me feel safer.
Scottyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 7:10pm
The cost of buying a rodi unit is well worth the piece of mind for me, I have thousands of dollars of corals and fish invested, so for under 200.00 it was an easy choice.
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 8:19am
I used tap water when i got started and swtiched for the peace of mind that we know what is going into our tank. The further the water has to go to get to you, the more likely it has contaminates. City requirements for clean water does not always match what we would like for our tanks. Clean drinking water can still have ammonia, nitrate or other elements in it and that can cause problems in the tank. Did I have problems with it? no, but do I want to risk it. Nope
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 10:38am
I'm in Riverton and tried using tap water in my kitchen nano tank.    I started with rock, sand and water from my larger tank.  Over the course of a few months, algae took over worse than I've ever dealt with.  Switched back to RODI and haven't had a single algae issue since.  I am a firm believer in the use of RODI.
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 10:40am
One of the first things I've read to do if a tank has a terrible algae problem is to switch to RO water, so that was a big reason I stopped using tap water.
KuruDaza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KuruDaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 7:19pm
That's like asking if it's ok open the windows during an inversion.. you can but its gonna cause health and stability problems and that's the opposite of what's good for reef tanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic