Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reef Tour Comments/Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Reef Tour Comments/Ideas
    Posted: October 09 2005 at 9:19am

I would like to see comments like this one:

Hey Reef Tour Hosts!!!!

I have been following this list most of the day and was able to make it to about 5 houses today( I started at 3:00pm). Thank you so much for inviting us into your homes and showing us the fruits of so many hours of labor. I would have liked to make it to more homes but unfortunatly I ran out of time. I have only been involved in the club for a little over a month and I have learned a ton from you so far. Please keep up the good work!!

If I may offer some suggestions for next year's reef tour --

I was planning on taking my parents to a few homes ( they are both huge scuba/snorkling fans ) and was unable to get in contact with them until late this afternoon because they had been out of town. It turns out that they passed a reef tour sign and didn't know that it was open to the public. I believe that if they were able to gain more info from the sign, that they would have stopped on their own. I think that if the signs were a bit more informative then many more people would show up (drenching rain or not). May be add a blurb or two about what the tour is and who can participate.

Do you think it would be a good idea to split the tour into sections? Say, North salt lake on one weekend, south salt lake on another, ogden, provo, etc. You could even go according to seasons so that every couple of months there is an event. I think that a year is a long time to remember that their is a sweet reef  tour sometime in October. Unless you are a member then you don't remember. This would provide you with better word of mouth advertizing due to the elongated time frame  and the reefers would be able to check out the other tanks as well. I would have liked to tour further north and south, but didn't have the time to get out of salt lake. I believe it was 44 houses, no way could I have seen them all. And if I decide to show my tank  next year then I will miss out on the clubs tanks at their finest.

Anyway, I had a blast and I can't wait until next year! I would like to thank everyone again for their hospitality (online and offline).

Sincerly,
Jeff Rasmussen

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 9:21am

Now, my comments:

Next year, I am going to make a handout with the common questions - how big, lighting, what do you feed, etc.  I answered the same question over and over.

It was really fun to be on the showing side.  I would like to hear suggestions from those that went on the tour.

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:16am
I think the handout would be a great idea, just listing some of the common traits of the tanks, I would like them to include lighting, size, filtration, tank duration(how long its been set up for), and any different nuances that the tank set up may have. Thanks to all who showed their tanks and let us intrude into their homes. you guys are great!!!
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:20am
This is the first year I've had time to go out on the tour and I really enjoyed myself! I went out for 4 hours and only made it to six houses. I think we need to have public invited on the signs in big letters also I think the tour would be funner for the members if we had it twice a year say North and then a south tour
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 10:25am

I have lots of thoughts and comments.  But I'll wait until everyone else provides their input.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:22am
I agree with Jeff, PUBLIC INVITED (or maybe "STOP IN AND SEE OUR MARINE AQUARIUM") on the signs would help. If I was just passing by a house with a REEF TOUR sign I would NEVER just stop in. I would assume it was for some special group; not the general public.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 11:36am

I think I had additional traffic at my place because I had homemade signs in addition to the one that  everyone had, that said,  "Reef Aquarium Tour", "Public Welcome" and "Free".  with some cute little fishies on them.  My wife did a great job on these signs and I've used them for the last 2 years.  Unfortunately they got quite wet this year and will have to be redone for next year.

KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 1:32pm

I had several people just stop in off the street after seeing my home made signs which basically just said "REEF TOUR, Today only,  FREE" with a big arrow pointing to my house.  I had the official sign posted on my garage with a dolphin and angel fish next to it.  I edited the post to add the pictures. (unfortunately the picture quality is not very good.)

Edited by KeoDog
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 3:33pm
If someone would just build a road that didn't end in Layton that would be helpful in getting more people up north. If only I-15 wasn't a dead end ...

They keep talkin' bout indoor plumbin' and lectricity too. Luckily, we got the internet this past summer.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 4:14pm
I was checking out the "inversion" during my commute 20 miles to work
that ended up taking almost an hour, due to a stalled car and an
accident.....

I kept thinking how nice it must be to live in Brigham City!

(I live in a city full of idiotic drivers! And, soon we'll have snow! Geez!)
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 4:23pm
It's pretty nice... drive-by's include the Relief Society delivering cookies or the Avon Lady with the latest catalog... beats spraypaint and bullets.  
www.captivereefing.com
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 12:03am

I think it would be awesome to have a north and south tour next year.

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 12:38am
We only made it to maybe 6 tanks (loved them all) and made it to Marine Aquatics, (first time there) and didn't get to see everything that we wanted to,  made it home around 8-9pm.
  I agree on the north south idea, also we could have had our tank in the tour(south) and still made it to see the north tanks.

Public welcome and free also sound like good ideas.

Brian

Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
vangvace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vangvace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 7:32am

Shane...

I think all roads must stop in Kaysville...

or maybe them Southern folks are just afraid of "the Base" 

McGuire AFB, NJ

Moments of brilliance
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:18am

Seaul8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:27am

I also went out for approx 4 hrs along with my wife and youngest son.  I would also like to thank everyone that supported the tour by opening their homes.  We decided to stay in the salt lake valley due to the larger number of stops available.  We only made it to 8 homes and I was then upset with myself for not getting started right at 9:00 am.  Even if I had we probably would only have made it to a dozen.  I like the idea of splitting the tour into sections.  I also believe that we were aware of the tour only because of membership.  For those of us that are relatively new to the hobby it is a great resource.  I enjoyed something about every setup I viewed.   I went specifically to see different size in overall systems, desire to see DIY items.  I was able to obtain photos and I took notes on the sheets from the direction package provided by the club.   Thanks to our leadership for your work and to all that participated.  I look forward to taking a place in the lineup in the future.    

75 Gallon Display, 75 Sump/Refug, Euroreef ES5-2 Skimmer, Iwaki 70 return pump, DIY Stand/Canopy
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:36am
First time I've been able to go to the Reef Tour, I've had to work that last two years. It was great! I got up and started about 9:30 and didn't finish until about 2:00. I can't believe the tanks everyone keeps, every tank was cool and unique in their own way.

I do like the idea of possibly splitting the tour up into north, central and south tours. I only made it to the Salt Lake valley tanks, and would have loved to make it up north and down south.

Thanks WMAS for such a great tour!!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 9:38am

Just a word of warning to my fellow "southerners"...

Don't let the temptings of those up north cause you to do something you shouldn't.  Columbus was wrong!  The edge of the earth begins at Farmington.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 10:13am

Thanks for all the comments.  Please keep them coming.

Just some thoughts and info:

-We have talked about splitting the tour in to two or more sections.  We understand that it is impossible to see all the tanks on the tour.  One on the main purposes of the Reef Tour is to bring in people that have not heard of the WMAS.  This is mainly done by fliers (posted by members) and media coverage.  It is hard enough getting the media to cover the reef tour as it is.  It would be even harder to have them cover a two part event.  If you missed some houses on the reef tour, then call those people up.  Most of them would be glad to have you over to look at their tank.

I am sure the presidency will discuss all the recommendations for next years reef tour.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 12:31pm

I feel really sad that I had a total of ZERO people visit.

I waited and waited and waited...........

Ok my expectation where pretty low, being all the way south in Santaquin, but still ZERO visits.

I even had cake and ice cream.........  Ok not really, but still.  I thought at least someone would stop by.  Not even the neighbors came by.

I watched a couple of boring episodes of cops got caught up on some reading, and pretty much stayed home all day longing for a stranger that I wasn't sure was going to come to come.

To be honest, I would not make the trip from Salt LAke to Santaquin just to see a small tank either. 

I think we need to recruit more people in Utah County. 

As it stands, if anyone would like to come by and see what I have you are more then welcome.  I generally have a few things I can frag as well, so come prepared with some good stuff to trade.

Edited by Kull
"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic