Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LF shelf or branch rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LF shelf or branch rock
    Posted: May 06 2019 at 2:38pm
im gathering rock for a 480 im building.. anyone have any branch or shelf rock.. preferable Tonga but ill look at all my options. pm me what you got

thanks
dave
480 in wall in progress
Skyward Imaging View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 8:41pm
Have you thought about using the "Real Reef Rock"? I used to be only natural stuff in my tank but this stuff is pretty good looking. I also like that you can get any type of shape you want. I didn't know it was man made until someone told me. 
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 4:21pm
ive looked into it. but the price is insane
480 in wall in progress
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 11:21am
The real reef rock branch stuff is about $16/lb retail.  

I will say I recently bought a few boxes of the caribsea branch and it was very difficult to work with and the shapes were not great.  I was pretty disappointed.  But, with branch you will use fewer pounds of rock than if you went with traditional rocks-I'd just make sure you have a sump full of good rock to help with the biologic processes.

Here are a couple other places you may want to try:

Good Luck and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

druss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 10:59am
So what's a "fair" price for branch/shelf rock? 
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 1:07pm
I don't think a fair price exists.  People are buying the real reef rock, so apparently there's a market for $16/pound rock.  

nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 3:32pm
on the opposite side of that, im not paying more than 3$  # for rock thats dead. if someones paying 16$ a lb for any rock ... well ill leave it at that. 
480 in wall in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic