Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Starting up a new tank due to other tank leaking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting up a new tank due to other tank leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kenny2498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny2498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting up a new tank due to other tank leaking
    Posted: June 11 2019 at 7:27am
Hi everyone, i just wanted to get some opions on what i should do. My tank started leaking a couple days ago so i went out and bought a new biocube, how should i go about starting this new one up? Should i just start a new cycle Or should i move everything over from my other tank except sand? Thank you!
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 8:27am
Just move it all over.  How old is the other setup?  You could just rinse the sand in fresh saltwater and re-use.  This is just my opinion on the sand, though.  Some will say to get new sand.
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 9:05am
depending on how long your tank has been up would be my opinion on sand. if its been a couple years, just buy new sand, its cheap and always available. If your old tank was only up shortly, just move it over with a quick rinse like kevin said. 
Kenny2498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny2498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 9:05am
Its about 2-3 years old. When moving everything over what should i worry about to test? Proably going with new sand to change up the look. 
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 12:53pm
I would rinse the new sand too because it can have a lot of fines and make the water cloudy. Most of your nitrifying bacteria is in the rocks. It is pretty standard to move an entire tank without having to cycle the tank in the new locations. This will be more stressful with higher stocking rates. 

As far as testing goes, you will want to make sure to check ammonia to make sure the cycle is still working. If you are dosing alk or calc you will need to monitor those because new placements and changes in water chemistry can cause the corals to slow their growth.  
The faster you can do the change the better. Just make sure you have plenty of extra water and towels. 

Kenny2498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny2498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2019 at 5:32pm
Awesome! I have 2 clowns , 1 wrasse and a goby. Should i add any Prime for the ammonia? 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 7:09am
You should really test for ammonia and nitrites after the move. You will be stirring up atuff that was probably burried in teh sand for those 2-3 years and who knows what it could do once exposed. It also doesn't sound like the old setup or this new one are very big so small amounts of ammonia become very toxic very quickly in those smaller systems. It's just always better to test instead of guessing once you see something bad going on.

I have always just rinsed my sand (even older sand) and then added some new fresh sand as well during a move. It has worked out well for me.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Kenny2498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny2498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 7:59am
Sounds good, lll be using new sand, yea defentialy ill test and add prime if needed i think, its a 21gal to a 32gal move. 
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 8:08am
I would not add prime unless you need it. Your fish do not produce a huge bio load so that is good. I would do the following steps. There may be others that want to add to this. 
1) make sure you have plenty of new saltwater mixed up and heated.
2) move most of the water in your current tank to the new tank.
3) move the rocks and be careful to not disturb the sand too much. 
4) catch the fish and move them over 
5) discard the remaining dirty water in your tank. 
6) you can choose to keep the sand but make sure to rinse it well to get all the junk out. If you have new sand I would put it in the new tank before adding the tank water.
7) top off your new tank with the new saltwater. 
8) test your water for ammonia every day for the first 3-4 days and make sure that levels are undetectable or close to undetectable. Fix ammonia problems with water changes as needed. But you should be ok

Kenny2498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny2498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 12:27pm
Thanks everyone!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic