Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lovergirl15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovergirl15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help
    Posted: June 25 2019 at 10:33pm
My pump hello all i need some help i mite have to shut down my tank i can not find a pump for my skimmer or a skimmer that is not alot to replace it help me out please. I have a 125 gal tank and a 55 sump 

Edited by Lovergirl15 - June 25 2019 at 10:40pm
Nickie
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 7:45am
Have you taken apart the broken pump yet? What happens when you plug it in? If it feels like the motor is trying to spin but its not spinning the shaft then you just need to clean it or inspect the impeller. In the past I have fixed at least 3 pumps that were "broken". One was just super dirty and needed a very good vinegar bath. Another had a cracked magnet and needed a new impeller which was easier to find. The last one had broken the plastic on the cover that held the shaft in place and I was also able to find a replacement for that. Just make sure it is dead before you look for a new one. 

If your skimmer is dead it is not the end of the world. There are several tanks that can last years without a skimmer so you have some time to find a replacement.

Finally you can google the model of the pump you are looking for. Put it in parenthesis so that it will look for that specific model and you should find parts and or a replacement pump. If you are struggling add "replacement for" to the search to see if someone else knows a pump that can replace it. 

Good Luck

Edited by knowen87 - June 26 2019 at 7:47am
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 8:44am
You absolutely do not NEED a skimmer.  They are nice to have, but not 100% necessary.
Lovergirl15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lovergirl15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 9:13am
The pump I have then it apart and cleaned it so let me tell you whats going on with it we plug it in and the thing spins but its not pushing water throw so we are not sure how to fix that. And on top of that my skimmer is no longer made 

Edited by Lovergirl15 - June 26 2019 at 9:15am
Nickie
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 9:35am
I've never run a skimmer, and consider them borderline harmful. Try running without one, you may be surprised.
60g LPS Cube
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by shaggydoo shaggydoo wrote:

I've never run a skimmer, and consider them borderline harmful. Try running without one, you may be surprised.

Oooh, interesting comment. 

And yes, like everyone said many beautiful tanks don't have skimmers. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Trigger801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 7:26pm
with a little tinkering i think the pump bstuver is selling works great for skimmers. Just watch feeding and dont over do it on food amounts and regular water changes and you will be just fine until you fix your current predicament. 
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 7:54am
So the impeller spins but there is no water coming out. If I was closer I would come take a look at it. I can't say that I have ever encountered that problem. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic