Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Maxima Clams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Maxima Clams
    Posted: October 11 2005 at 3:12pm
Can anyone advise of a LFS where you have seen any blue Maxima Clams.  I have not been able to find any in Salt Lake.  Anyone know if there are any at Aquatica, Aquatic Dreams, Bird World, Mountain Shadow Marine etc.  I would like to know if they have any so I can take a look.

Edited by Kirklan
SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 3:15pm

I know Desert Reef has dozens of clams, with some maximas coming soon.

adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 3:16pm
Ask Shane at Desert Reef Aquatics (ssilcox).

Jeff Rasmussen

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 3:30pm
Blue maximas are rare and hard to find.  If (and when) you find one, expect to pay ~$200. 
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
reydavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reydavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 3:37pm
Ask Shane at Desert Reef Aquatics.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 4:23pm
Can't beat Desert Reef's prices!
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 4:36pm

Thanks guys.   I have been working on getting a nice shipment of maxima's in. I'll post when I do.

Also - anyone interested in any other species? Gigas? Derasa? Squamosa?

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 4:40pm

Shane, Id like the ones the started with an H that Barry was talking about at the meeting if you get any of those let me know please...

Any hermits or snails left??

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 4:46pm

No hermits or snails, sorry. They went pretty quick. I should be getting more in pretty soon though.

Hippopus Hippopus. I have yet to see them on any list - but I'll keep looking. (Side note though... have you seen pictures of them? They arent the nicest looking clam on the block... Smile)

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 4:50pm
What are your prices? I may be interested in a cheap starter. I read somewhere that the clams were good with helping remove nitrate and phosphates. Is that true? (Not that I would replace water changes for clams, just interested)

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:13pm
Ya, but there not on every block so I want one...  Thanks Shane appreicate ya
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:30pm

Jeff - price wise - you can check out our recent sales in the pet store section.

I still have quite a few nice crocea's in, and a couple teardrop maxima's.

As far as nitrate and phosphate removal, I hear that the hippopus are the best for that. However - I have personally never seen any of the Tridacnid's (maxima, crocea, etc) be a significant source for either phosphate or nitrate removal.

Edited by ssilcox
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 8:25pm

I believe that clams do a great job removing organic material before it is broken down to Nitrite and nitrate. This is my understanding of the commonly held opinion of their reducing effect on N compounds.

I thought that long ago I should have installed the skimmer that is sitting next to my Refugium. I have not felt a need for the skimmer because SPS are growing very well without it.

Jake told us in a meeting last spring that he believes clams do the job of a skimmer.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 7:40am
Thanks for all the advise to go to Desert Reef Aquatics.  I have in fact already purchased 4 clams from Shane, 1 teardrop maxima and 3 croceas.  Shane has excellent clams at a very good price.  Right now I am just looking for a blue maxima to complete my collection, and Shane is going to keep me in on the loop if he gets any in. 
SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
OceanBlueSky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OceanBlueSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:00am
For a treat I sometimes feed my copperband the white shelled clams they sell in the butcher block at the grocery store.  The last time I bought them I didnt have time to to cut them open.  I figured my fish could get into them.  Instead they all buried themselves deep in my sand bed. I've got 4 of them in there, which I thought would have been near death when I bought them, but I guess not.   Should I dig them out our let them be? 

Edited by OceanBlueSky
Arthur
220 Reef, 90 Lightning & RBTA, 7 nano
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic