Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tw!tch321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tw!tch321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few questions?
    Posted: November 04 2019 at 5:26am
Hey everyone,  do due to some unfortunate events I will be moving this week and I have a few questions I wanted to ask to get some feedback on.  So I just finished my cycles on my IM nuvo 20 gal drop off tank and on my diy 5.5 gallon nano tank.  Since I will be moving and taring down my tanks I was thinking about when I set my tanks back up add a sump to my 20 gal drop off tank just so I have a larger water volume in the system.  What are your guys thoughts on this?  Also if I was to add a sump would I have to start my cycle all over again because of adding more water?.  If not adding a sump what about a canister filters?  I Know I have all the filtration in the back of the tank but I always herd the more water the easier it is with salt water.  What's your guys thoughts and opinions.  Also any tips for moving a tank would be great also.  I'm only moving about 8 blocks away so its not a far move. 

THanks kris
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 7:31am
I have gone most of my salt water history without a sump. A sump is nice because it gives you a place to put all of your equipment (skimmer, pump, heater, carbon, refugium). From my perspective that is the main purpose. For me having a sump for simply that reason has been way better than not having one.

As for adding water volume it depends on the size of sump and how you use it. If you are planning on joining the water from your 5.5 nano and your 20 gallon tank into the same sump this would make your 5.5 nano much more stable. If you are increasing your total water volume from 20 to 30 gallons then it will help but I don't think it will be a big difference.

I would not be worried about a tank recycle by simply adding a sump. If you added a sump and a bunch of new live rock to that sump then I would be worried.

The one advantage I could see about a canister filter is a place to add carbon or other filtration media. I would worry that it wouldn't be maintained all that well and become a nitrate factory.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 9:36am
Good answer
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 10:29am
Sumps are great. I love having them. Your biological filter is located on surfaces like your rock and sand not in the water column. You can add as much water as you want (as long as it is similar in temp/ph/salinity etc without restarting the cycle. If you are moving the tank you will need to keep your rock wet. You can just get some buckets or tubs to transport the rock. That will prevent the bacteria on the rock from dying. If you are going a longer distance then you will need to keep it at the right temp. make sure you have the new salt water pre mixed and up to temperature before you add it to the tank.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic