Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MH Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benn3393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benn3393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MH Questions
    Posted: October 19 2005 at 5:30pm

I am looking to DIY a MH setup.

In the janitor's closet at work I found these MH Lights:

Philips 175 Watt    product MH175/U/M

The Website gives them a lumen rating of: Initial 14,700 Median 9,555
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/ecatalog/hid/displayh id.php?id=267

would these be sufficient, if I can get the janitor to order me some at their cost and a ballast to go with?

If so, how far from the water do they need to be if I do 2, one on each end?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy in Cedar City

12 Gallon Nano
Bioballs
1 Damsel
1 Kenya Tree Coral
Hidden mushroom
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 5:48pm

Hi Randy,

I have used that exact bulb for a refugium. It is very yellow and has a medium base (most reef bulbs are mogul base...meaning you wont be able to buy a bluer bulb). It is not that much cheaper than buying a MH setup from www.hellolights.com

I would get a bulb with a Kelvin rating of at least 10,000K unless you like the yellow light, then get a 6500K. I believe that particular philips bulb is about 4000K (very yellow). It is very bright though (about as bright as a 400watt 10K bulb i had).

Edited by BananaTropics
benn3393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benn3393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 6:01pm
would these be any better?  They at least have a mogul base, but I can't see anywhere that talks about the K ratings.
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/ecatalog/hid/displayh id.php?id=267
Randy in Cedar City

12 Gallon Nano
Bioballs
1 Damsel
1 Kenya Tree Coral
Hidden mushroom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 6:12pm

It depends on what you are using it for...

I wouldn't use them for a display tank. The CCT (correlated color temperature) is the Kelvin rating, so that bulb is 4,300K. Very very yellow and since that is a mogul base, the bulb will be HUGE. Aquarium MHs are generally long and narrow. That bulb is very large in the center.  You would only save about $100 i bet going that way. You could also get a mercury vapor (6500K) but that is still VERY yellow. Look at www.hellolights.com. The prices really aren't that bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 6:14pm

http://www.hellolights.com/17methalretk.html

With a 10,000K bulb it will be about $150 plus shipping. You will need a hood for it to go in though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic