Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10g nano plumbed off my 200 gallon system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dschultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10g nano plumbed off my 200 gallon system
    Posted: October 19 2005 at 8:10pm
I'm sure someone has done something similar already, so I thought I would ask for opinions on my idea to put a 10gallon nano in my son's room.

Some advantages I see in plumbing the system off my main tank are:

My son Kenny has really taken an interest in having his own sw tank after helping me with mine for so long so I want to encourage his interest.
I dont have to invest in a small skimmer for the nano
I dont have to constantly mess with those annoying small skimmers, I have yet to see one that is worth a darn.
I dont have to fiddle with constantly topping off evap or setting up an auto top off.
10 gallon tank with 200plus gallon sump/fuge = much more stable tank

Here's the catch. My son's room is on the same floor as my tank. So I can't do the easy overflow/return pump thing. I'll have to do some creative plumbing to keep from having a flood.

Any thoughts?

Edited by dschultz
--David

faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 8:25pm

Great idea.  I agree with all your positive points. 

Scubadave and kym have a seahorse/refugium tank on the other side of the room from thier show tank.  I think their plumbing is creative.

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
dschultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 8:39pm
Thanks Steve.

Maybe we can get Scubadave to enlighten me on his creative plumbing..I'm struggling to come up with a good solution.

--David

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 10:36pm
Ok as long as the 10 gallon is higher than your sump you should be able to maintain the level without problems. You could run a small return pump from the sump just for the 10 gallon. Also you should drill the tank. My 10 gallon is drilled and I love it. If you dont want to drill it I have a DIY overflow you could just have.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 11:45pm
I agree with pistonfister. You are basically adding the 10 gallon to the existing sump. If the 10Gal is drilled, that  substantially reduces a cahnge flood. You dont need a large amount of flow to and from the sump and a small return pump inside the sump should do. You can also use an internal powerhead or a HOB for circulation within the nano.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic