Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reducing the bubbles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reducing the bubbles
    Posted: October 21 2005 at 12:06am
I  just got my sump set up a few days ago.

I'm getting a lot of noise from bubbles splashing down in the sump.

My overflow is silent, but the sump side makes a lot of noise and fizzing sounds.  I have the outlet about 2 inches below the surface of the water.

Is there any way to reduce the bubbles?

Also, it's causing a little bit of microbubbles in my display.

What do you guys recommend?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 1:49am

Several things could work. Would need to see the sump to know for sure, but it may need a valve which backs up the water in the pipe to reduce the mix of noisy air coming out the end.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 2:26am

here is what I'm working with.  I have that modified durso that you (mark) recommended, which works wonderfully.

I have it running down as 1 1/4" tubing, and then the bulkhead is 1", and then it reduces after that down to 3/4".  the 3/4" has some 90 degree turns in it and then drops down under the water where it is covered by a square filter as pictured.

The rest of the plumbing is just the return and the bypass ball valve to adjust pump flow.

Thanks for any additional help

Edited by bambbrose
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 11:34am

Yes, a gate valve near the bottom of the return to the sump will allow you to adjust falling water so it backs up and the small bubbles have a better chance to rise back up the tube and not be pushed down into the sump.

In addition, you could place a floss bag over the end of the pipe which usually stops all bubbles. (until the bag is clogged with crud and overflows.)

Alternatively, place a 1-2' length of corrugated pipe (bilge pipe) after the second 45 before the first 90 and let it curl around in the sump area. The corrugation slows the flow and releases the bubbles in a less noisy fashion.

Alternatively, place a much larger sponge or more sponge at the bottom so that all the water has to flow through the sponge to get into the sump. This will slow the water, allowing bubbles to be released but it will also require periodic removal and cleaning of the sponge.

In my tank, I have Chaetomorpha algae as a living sponge at the end of bilge pipe, but you are not using this as an RDP so that option is out for you. (There is inexpensive white plastic bilge pipe at some hardware stores that slips snugly over 1" pvc)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 5:52pm
Just as a reference:

I use a ball valve as Mark suggests above to control the flow of water from the overflow to reduce the noice / bubbles. It is difficult to "tune" with a ball valve. Use a gate valve instead (again as Mark suggests).
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 12:06am
If you add a valve get rid of the durso.  The durso will not work if it's not sucking in some air.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 3:13pm

If youi put a valve on thr drain side you are asking for trouble.

after much research I found that if you put a tee fitting on the end of the hose in the sump and run the tee above water the bubles escape without all the gurgling noises and the water just runs in the sump. you can even move the tee to the surface of the sump level but you should keep the end extended in the water.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 8:45pm

What kind of trouble have you seen?

I would be interested to hear more about this. It's a subject that deserves attention from time to time, to ensure that we do not become complacent with the status quo of dursos and valves.

I wonder what Bambrose did to resolve the issue?

Edited by Mark Peterson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic