Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

berlin skimmer question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: berlin skimmer question
    Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:31pm

I have a red sea berlin skimmer and when i adjust the water flow so its just right, I come back sometimes the next day or even a hour or two later and theres hardly any water flow, so I'll turn up the flow and its good for maybe a few days. and then out of the blue, the water flow goes crazy and starts making the wettest foam, like a gallon every five minutes.

Is it me, or is this a crappy skimmer cause I feel like I absolutely wasted my money?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:56pm

Partly that's the way a skimmer works in the aquarium. Different variables combine to create the right foaming action. A hand in the water can make the foam level drop and then in some instances the addition of some additives can cause it to foam like crazy.

The Berlin brand is more touchy. I'd set it back during the crazy foaming times and leave it at that setting all the time, or maybe adjust it up a bit from there and leave it. Skimming is good but not an absolute necessity. I personally haven't used a skimmer since 1997.  

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by fishfreak fishfreak wrote:

I feel like I absolutely wasted my money?

I have 2 of them and agree with this statement whole heartedly.  Neither one of them has ever worked for more than a few days without major fussing and neither have skimmed much of anything.  I don't use them anymore.

Edited by wsinbad1
scubadave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 12:40pm

I run a Berlin XL on my 220 and I know exactly what your talking about !

They are one of the hardest to keep adjusted

I upgraded to a Berlin 12 blade turbo pump on mine and it works much better now

P.S. I have an extra regular Berlin I'd like to sell, But I can't very well endorse it  as I'd never pay that much for one again

My Tank
220 Reef
4-400 watt metal halides
2- 72� V.H.O.
2- 1200 GPH Pumps
My Pride & Joy
Tremonton,Utah
Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 9:27pm
most of my thoughts were confirmed, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic