Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some pics before I tear down my tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some pics before I tear down my tank
    Posted: October 26 2005 at 11:55pm

I am moving this weekend and so decided to snap some pics before I tear it all down and probably kill everything (hopefully not).  Anywayse here are a few I liked.

60g LPS Cube
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 8:07am
Very nice!  Wish you luck on the move.  You will be suprised how hardy some of those coral are and what they can put up with.
SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 3:34pm
Pics sure look good, good luck on the move.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 4:12pm

Very good photo skills! Beautiful

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 4:21pm
Thanks everyone.  I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm hoping nothing dies and am mainly worried about all the sponges that have been growing lately.  They look really cool so I'd hate to lose them and with how small my tank is I'm afraid if too many of them die it could cause a crash.
60g LPS Cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 10:25am

Luck has little to do with it. There are proven techniques to moving a tank. Keeping the stuff underwater is, of course, the biggest one. Letting the tank cool during transport is another. Don't try to heat it to regular temp, but don't let it cool below 60.

Having more saltwater is a very important tip. The move stirs things up so having another container, a moving tub/cooler, with good water is invaluable. Any rock and coral that can't be covered by the water left in the moving tank can be placed in the cooler/tub. Before starting, doing an exchange of water from tank to tub is helpful so that LR and coral aren't just going into different water.

These are a few tips. Hope this helps.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zland1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zland1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 12:03pm

when i moved from the bay area with my tank i put all everything in a tub(live rock, corals, fish and inverts) full of water on top of a tarp. i used a car power inverter to power a 100 watt heater a small power head and a air pump. i drove 15 hours straight shot when i got here everything was alive and the temp was still 78 degrees. the tub was big enough to be able to leave everyhing in there for about 2 months while i set up my new bigger tank.

Good luck Joe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic