Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What fish do we keep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What fish do we keep?
    Posted: October 04 2002 at 9:58pm
I'm curious about what unique fish that some of the members keep.  I'm not able to attend the meetings because I work on Thursday nights so I haven't gotten to know anyone yet.  I know that lots of folks keep yellow tangs and blue tangs and such, but I would like to know of the unique fish that people have and if you have a common fish that lots of other people have but yours is different in some way, let me know!  I really like to know of peoples successes.  I now know that it is easier to keep corals than it is to keep fish, because you never know when that purple tang might decide to rip the eye out of one of the inmates, or everyone might decide to get ich.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2002 at 2:58pm

Great question!  I'm curious to see what others write here. 

I have and have had some rarities.  I have fish that I have collected myself which is quite rare.  I also have many Atlantic fish, including a harem of Bluehead wrasse Thalassoma bifasciatum and a crested goby Lophogobius cyprinoides.  I have surge towers and dump buckets to cause waves in my tank.  I have a Salt Lake City tank raised clownfish (Anemonefish that is) that is now 3 years old.  And best of all... I have some corals that I personally collected. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2002 at 8:37pm
I have my favorite fish in my tank, though ill advised by lots of people, the Moorish Idol.  It has been doing really really well in my tank.  Very healthy with a fat belly.  The funny thing about him is that every, and I mean every time I introduce a new coral into the tank he has to go and pick at it just once, before he realizes that he doesn't like the taste of corals, or perhaps he does it so that he can stake claim on it before anyone else in the tank.  After that first nip he leaves it alone.  Once I put a new toadstool leather in the tank and before my hand was out of the water he went over to it an nipped at it.  I have had an Idol before, but it died with a fight trying to fend off ich.  It was a great wipe out that killed half of the fish in my tank.  He was the last to die.  I attribute the loss to having too many fish.  But with that I learned and no more fish do I add to my big tank.  Both were reluctant to feed until presenting them with New Life Spectrum pellet food.  and this seems to start their engines and after that they eat anything.  One day I plan on having a coral tank with a school of 3 Idols with my corals.  And then in a fish only tank have the others that I want.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 9:45pm
Hey guys!  I have some unique and not-so-common animals in my tank.  I have a fish only tank with some pretty aggressive fish.  I have 3 morray eels, 3 Look-down Jacks, trigger, Harlequin Tusk, grouper, Marine Beta, Lion, and a puffer.  Feeding times are fun around here.  I also have a 20 gal with an octopus in it.  I want to think he is smarter than me.  Its like he stares at me.  Its pretty fun to watch him eat also.  He stalks the mollies that I feed him.  I feel bad for him cause his tank is next to my 120 gal reef and he sits stuck to glass all day and stares into the reef.  Its like he wants to get in there so bad.  One day he'll probably find a way out of his tank and climb in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic