Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An affordable reef aquarium & Reefkeeping Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An affordable reef aquarium & Reefkeeping Tips
    Posted: January 02 2016 at 8:49am
Update:
New thread added to the Reefkeeping Tips:

How to grow "bugs and worms" to aide in feeding Carnivores and Coral:

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 7:35pm
Another update to the list of Reefkeeping Tips:

What if using a few different types of Garlic Oil has not helped? What next, UV Sterilizer or a skimmer with Ozone?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
If fine Oolitic sand is flying around in the water, it is probably due to one or more of the following conditions:
- extra fine particles were not properly washed out before use
- water flow is too fast directly over the sand 
- insufficient time has elapsed for bacteria to build up a sticky sort of biofilm
- a layer of at least 1/2" of larger particle sand was not used over the top of the Oolitic sand

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 9:13am
I never saw nor answered the 3 year old post above about that rock. Just fyi that rock is nothing like the stuff I have and sell. 
Yes, Oolitic Sand is very fine. I don't recommend "sand throwing gobies" anyway so a layer of fine sand underneath courser sand makes for an awesome biological filter and a good provider of Alk and Ca.

Here is a pile of good looking Utah Rock:

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 13 2014 at 9:23am
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Redrock Redrock wrote:

I am so ready to make the trip out west to gather some sand and rock. Old Lake Bonneville, who'da thunk it?

Hey I wish black lava rock was a good base rock substitue, I know where VERY MUCH of this stuff sits.
I have used tons of lava rock in my eef as base rock?? Its worked for me and a few other down here for years.
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 1:32pm
Looks like I need to take a tour of Utah to get some free stuff!!  lol  I never thought of getting sand like that before...
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium
AceMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AceMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2012 at 10:40pm
How was the luck of those that when looking for LBTR in 2011.  I'm putting together a 64 gallon 1/4 circle corner reef tank, and was told about the rock from a friend.  I'm probably looking at going out in a fiew weeks, if anyone has some good directions on where some might be found now days any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 1:53am
hopefully it is, i may be going out there this saturday (5-29) to collect some.
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 10:26am
Is this information on where to get rock and sand still current?
I'm thinking of getting some this next weekend
robyrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 10:26pm
hmm maybe i will too. I was thinking i could buy some medium grade and throw it in there too, but i dunno
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 10:21pm
Well the sand out there is REALLY REALLY fine sand.  I put it in my 150g when I set it up.  However with my BSJ and other sand diggers it has become a pain. I always have sand in my water colum.  If I ever get the ambition to do so, I think I will switch it out.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

robyrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 10:16pm
Found these today thanks mark for the info ;) looks like LBTR can someone confirm the pics for me just to be certain. If so I found a ton of it out by the mud flats. Dunno about the sand though, it just seems too fine of grain for me. I still need to wash it, maybe it will clear out the really small grains. Oh if you go out there watch out for the nude tanners lol. I think its some nudist colony developing out there, I would leave the kids at home.
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 9:04pm
If you could wait til Sat. maybe we could carpool?
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2009 at 2:17pm
Has anyone been out this way since the big storm?  How deep is the snow out this way?  I would like to make a run out there on Friday.   
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 2:08pm

Update regarding collecting Utah rock and sand.

The Utah Oolitic Sand is still available in the dunes west of the gravel road that runs along the west of Stansbury Island. Some people have used sand collected from the dunes south of the island on the east side of the road where the 4-wheelers play. That sand is not as clean and has flecks of black silica. It's okay to use but why not drive just a little further up the road to get the sand that is all white?

The best rock has all but disappeared from the places identified in this and more recent threads. All that is left in those locations is heavy stuff, twice the weight of the good rock. The good rock is still available. For the lightest and most porous Utah Rock, the good stuff, Smile please feel free to contact me by PM or at the phone # below.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 11 2009 at 9:15am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 10:30am
Sterling18, This rock is some of the best for use in a tank.  Get what you need then just seed it with some LR.  You cant even tell that it came from the desert at all. 
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 9:20am
Man, this thread and Utah is a blessing to our hobby.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 12:55am

Since we started collecting LBTR about 7 yrs ago, we have moved from spot to spot in search of the best stuff. That location once had a truckload of very choice, very porous pieces. Sounds like you came across some good stuff on that same hill where we probably removed 10 tons of it over the years.

Looking south toward the freeway exit

Me with some old friends.

LBTR was so plentiful in those days that it was always doing things to get itself noticed "pick me, pick me..."

This is a prime piece that I still have not put in a tank. It's too fine to be used.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 8:18pm
Welcome Yindar!

Mike

Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 6:54pm
Hello all,

Just heard about this awesome site from a new friend I have met in my area.  I'm starting a 210 gal tank and like others, wished I had known about this information on LBTR.  Would have saved me mega $$.  But live and learn.  Just made a trip and picked up around 400 to 500 lbs of the stuff.  The directions given for the Exit 62 between Salt Lake and Wendover were very good.  You can take a left at the fork in the dirt road instead of heading straight up, that is gradual incline instead of taking that straight up steep incline to the top.  You'll know you are on the right track if you pass a smassed up TV.  I was mind boggled myself.  Who would ever take a TV that far out just to trash it.  Wasn't shot up or anything.  At first I couldn't see the LBTR, seems most of it on the south side of the outcrop has been taken.  Thought I was in the wrong spot for a while there.  But found that a lot of it is on the north side of the outcrop and there is quite a good amount still left.  Can also find more up the road (east)(or take a right at the top of the platoe/steep incline)  and the next incline.  But if you come across some cement in the shape of an arrow, then you've gone to far.  Past that cement pad I didn't see any. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:03am
I don't know about recycling, but the rinse cycle removes soap from the car so how could it leave soap in the rockConfused... I've never had a problem with this and I've done tons of it. I set the rocks against the side wall of the car wash, run down the line, turn the rocks, and repeat several times turning the rocks in between to get all the mud out. Prepare to get sprayed with mud as you go close into the holes in the rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic