Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An affordable reef aquarium & Reefkeeping Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
dlongmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlongmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 11:40am
Just made a trip out to get rock this last week and wanted to add some details to the discussion on the location. Including gps coordinates and a detailed map. The gps coordinates for the site we went to are (40° 48.677' N and 112° 32.119' W). The distance from 11 (turn off to broken arrow salt)  to 10 (turn off to dig site)  is 1.4 miles and from 10 (turn off to dig site to 9 (dig site) is .6 miles. Here is the a detailed picture. Enjoy.

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 11:54am
Nice area picture!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 6:54pm
Having fun being married in St. George. Big%20smile HeartHug

No more sand and rock collecting trips. Cry missing my "fishy" friends.

PC Pond builder has a nice LFS  here called umm... Artistic Aquariums. Drop in sometime. Smile

My new number is 435-669-0131 Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 14 2007 at 10:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 9:15pm
WHOA!!! you move to st george?

I am definitly coming to get some free advice!!!

Called "the living art aquarium" BTWWink

Edited by Jhamb - March 01 2007 at 11:09pm
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 9:02am
I just created a short tutorial with pics on cleaning Utah Sand.

I thought it would be nice to have a link to it from this thread:
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19921

-Rocks
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 9:23am
Clap

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:39pm
this site rocks just wish I would have found when i started
out with the large and in with the nano
brinton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the help finding the sand!  I'm working on my first tank this week! 

I didn't however find any LR.  I dug in the mud flats for a while.  Anyone have any to spare or trade for some LS?

And also just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cleaning this sand.  What is a good way to do this?  I have screened all the sticks, roots, etc out.  Ultimately I don't want to lose the sand to my drain!

Brinton

Edited by brinton - September 10 2007 at 3:04pm
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 3:38pm
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 3:42pm
Welcome Brinton!

Mike

Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 1:52pm
Thumbs%20Up
Clap
Newbreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 8:38pm
so once you've found the site with the sand and rock do you have to dig around for the rock or are they just kinda laying on the surface? i may be going monday to look for some. also to introduce this to an already established tank do i just need to make sure it's good and clean like described in the first few posts?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 7:52pm
It's Monday already!
We used to find good rock just lying on the surface. Now it has to be dug up.
Cleaning is very important, but once the rock is thoroughly cleaned  with high pressure wash, it is sterile and almost unlimited amounts can be added to a tank, new or old.

The sand can be scooped up from the dunes on the way to the mudflats.Smile
Newbreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:50pm
thanks mark, i actually picked up 4 bins of it from Adam here in the forums who is relocating to NY soon. My concern with using the pressure washes is... dont they recycle the water they use? so don't i have a risk of contaminating the rock with soaps and such?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 11:03am
I don't know about recycling, but the rinse cycle removes soap from the car so how could it leave soap in the rockConfused... I've never had a problem with this and I've done tons of it. I set the rocks against the side wall of the car wash, run down the line, turn the rocks, and repeat several times turning the rocks in between to get all the mud out. Prepare to get sprayed with mud as you go close into the holes in the rock.
Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 6:54pm
Hello all,

Just heard about this awesome site from a new friend I have met in my area.  I'm starting a 210 gal tank and like others, wished I had known about this information on LBTR.  Would have saved me mega $$.  But live and learn.  Just made a trip and picked up around 400 to 500 lbs of the stuff.  The directions given for the Exit 62 between Salt Lake and Wendover were very good.  You can take a left at the fork in the dirt road instead of heading straight up, that is gradual incline instead of taking that straight up steep incline to the top.  You'll know you are on the right track if you pass a smassed up TV.  I was mind boggled myself.  Who would ever take a TV that far out just to trash it.  Wasn't shot up or anything.  At first I couldn't see the LBTR, seems most of it on the south side of the outcrop has been taken.  Thought I was in the wrong spot for a while there.  But found that a lot of it is on the north side of the outcrop and there is quite a good amount still left.  Can also find more up the road (east)(or take a right at the top of the platoe/steep incline)  and the next incline.  But if you come across some cement in the shape of an arrow, then you've gone to far.  Past that cement pad I didn't see any. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 8:18pm
Welcome Yindar!

Mike

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2008 at 12:55am

Since we started collecting LBTR about 7 yrs ago, we have moved from spot to spot in search of the best stuff. That location once had a truckload of very choice, very porous pieces. Sounds like you came across some good stuff on that same hill where we probably removed 10 tons of it over the years.

Looking south toward the freeway exit

Me with some old friends.

LBTR was so plentiful in those days that it was always doing things to get itself noticed "pick me, pick me..."

This is a prime piece that I still have not put in a tank. It's too fine to be used.
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 9:20am
Man, this thread and Utah is a blessing to our hobby.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 10:30am
Sterling18, This rock is some of the best for use in a tank.  Get what you need then just seed it with some LR.  You cant even tell that it came from the desert at all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic