Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank heater problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank heater problem
    Posted: December 03 2005 at 2:20pm
I am really having difficulty with heater maintaining a constant temperature.  I need some input on a stable reliable heater...... My thermometer is very accurate and the temp fluctuates with or without the lights.  The heater seems incapable of maintaining a consistent temperature.  It is not new but was a carry over from my freshwater days.

Edited by Gahlenfr
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 2:31pm
how many watts is it?
Manofcichlids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 2:34pm
Get rid of it now! I have lost thousands of dollars just in fish from failing heaters. It might turn on one day and never turn off. That's why 55 of my 60 fish tanks don't use heaters at all! It could also be due to the changing temps in the room and lights. How big is the tank? How many watts are you running on it? If it's bigger than a 90g you might consider using two smaller heaters to keep the temp even. Do you keep the heater in a sump?    
Fish keeping is healthy until the fish start talking back

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 2:40pm

I wouldnt do anything above 50 watts for a 15 gallon tank. Get a good quality heater like an ebo jager. Im not sure why they are so much cheaper online, but this heater is as much as double at the LFS...

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EJ1111

Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 2:51pm
Thanks for the info.  It is a 15 gallon tank and the one in it is 150 watt.  Way overkill huh!  I just ordered the ebo jager.  Thanks guys!
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 5:20pm
I forgot to ask what is the correct temperature range for my 15 gallon tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 5:35pm
78-82 is good. Ive always shot for 80 degrees when possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 5:37pm
Actually my 180 gallon stays at about 69-73 but this is too cold for many corals. Natural coral reefs have a wide range but i think the most common is around 85 degrees.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 6:04pm
70-80 is the range I keep things in; 75-78 is ideal for most coral; fish don't care.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 11:41pm

If you really want to keep your water temp. stable, buy a temp.controller.

I have only a 50 watt heater in my 235g reef. 99.9% of the time its my chiller that kicks on to keep my water at 77.

I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:19pm

Well I purchase the Jager 50W suggested to me and this heater is very stable.  The temp has a fluctuation of only .4 deg F and that with a temp swing of 62 to 70 in the room.  I also puchased a temp controller for heat tape or in this case my heater.  If the temp in the tank exceeds 80 deg the temp controller shuts off the power.  I would recommend this controller to anyone with a tank heater because this will not allow the temp to run away by a stuck heater.  Thanks for your suggestions.  This forum is the greatest thing for new entries into Reef care.  This is the product from Marine Depot.  

HYDOR HYDROSET ELECTRONIC THERMOSTAT W/ TEMP DIAL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:57pm
Thats good to hear.   I really like the Jager heaters.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic