Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Site navigation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Site navigation
    Posted: October 06 2002 at 8:01pm

My only complaint, and it may just be that I don't know how to activate it, is that there is no quick way of knowing if there is a new post or new reply to previous posts when I get into the site.  From my limited experience on the site, it seems that the only way to know is to look at the dates in the right hand column, then enter the particular forum of interest and look at dates again.  I would suggest some type of color coating, one color that lets you know if you have already read a post, and another for new posts and replies.  A good example of this practice in action is on reeftalk.com.  I feel that it would significantly speed up site navigation, and I personally could quickly hone in on topics of interest faster.

Thanks, Jared.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 10:51pm
Jared, there are different icons for new replies and no new replies and so on and so forth.  If you back out on page from here and look at the bottom, it shows you the icons and what they mean.  I don't use them much, but they are there.  I just look to see where I haven't been the last replier and read that.  Happy browsing.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 9:13am

Jared,

It took me a while before I noticed what Marcus described.  On every forum and on every topic there is a little envelope icon on the left side.  If it has a letter sticking out then there are new posts you haven't read.  If it is a closed up envelope then there isn't anything there that is new to you.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 9:18am

I use the "Active topics" button on the upper right side. Then from the drop box (Show Active Topics since :) select "since last vist" and it will show only the topics that have responses to them since you last visited the forum.

What I would like to see is a subscribtion option that emails you the latest responses...

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 9:28am
Hey Dutchdude, when you reply to someone, you have to option to check to box below that will e-mail you when someone replies to you. It says "E-mail Notify me of Replies". Its next to the "Show Signature" box.
Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 2:29pm

Before this I did not notice the icons on the left side of the coulmn.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction there. 

My next recommendation is that you make the icons display new and already read posts in real-time.  For example, as it now stands, I log into the site and notice from all of the convenient icons in the left coulmn, that there are several new topics for me to read.  I then proceed to read the first topic, and then return to the message board's main page only to find that the forum (from which I have already read all newly posted topics and replies) still shows that it has new posts or replies.?! 

Just a suggestion, Jared.

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 4:00pm

Jared: that is probably your cache that is doing that to you. In theory you could set that to zero and it should reread the page every time you visit it - but it will also slow you down since you will re-download all graphics all the time. Bottom line: live with it?

Marcus: I had seen that before, but I am looking for an option to get all new postings, including the ones I have not been a part of before. I would never want to do that with Reefcentral  but I think I could handle the volume here.

Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2002 at 4:06pm
I guess it is just me getting used to getting around on the site.  Thanks for helping me to see how things work on the site.  Jared.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2002 at 12:44pm

Like Dutch Dude mention the Active topics button at the top will list all of the topics that have been replied to or added since your last visit.

Hope that helps.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic