Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday meetings ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday meetings ???
    Posted: September 03 2003 at 11:50am
Has the presidency ever considered moving the meeting day from Thursday to Friday? It would make it much easier for those of us who have to travel. Just a thought ...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:13pm

Up to the club......

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:26pm
I wouldn't mind it either - might be able to pull it off as a date night! Hehehe!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:37pm
Actually Thursdays are usually better then Fridays for me. But if it were moved to Fridays the attendance would most likely increase by at least one (my wife) as Ryan pointed out... hey I'm a cheap date (and easy )!

Edited by jfinch
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 1:19pm
I've been considered easy, but never cheap.

Friday works ok for me, but for many, this is the nignt to begin unwinding from the work week. I would think only dedicated fish geeks would take one friday a month. If that's all we want in the club, fine, but if we are looking to help any and all with their marine aquariums then (IMO) the better night would be Thursday. I think it would also depend on meeting hall schedule.

Edited by GonZo
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 1:41pm
How about Thursday AND a friday? I'v always thought once a month was never enough.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 2:31pm
My vote is any day except Friday (My sexy husband always takes me out)
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 2:57pm
Suzy - isn't the WMAS meeting considered a date?
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 3:10pm
Your one of the lucky ones Ryan. I could NEVER pass it off as a date as much as I'd like to.
Mike
Layton, Ut.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 9:17pm

Friday would be much easier for me too.  I always have to take off work early on Thursday in order to make the meeting.  It's a PITA, but I manage.  Although I would definitely prefer Friday!

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 9:18pm

Adam,

Maybe this could be a point of discussion for the meeting tomorrow?  Just a thought.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 8:44am
It has been brought up before, and I'm not saying it should'nt be again, but Cortney is on target regarding the past evaluations. We've asked for a show of hands on it almost yearly. The conclusion is always pretty much the same...too many of us think we would miss it because of other commitments to, and activities with, loved ones of the non-fishgeek variety.
Personally I've always thought that it was worth a try, but then I stop and wonder what would happen when my wife or kids say, "Let's go out." and I say, "I'm sorry but tonight is my fish geek night and I love my aquarium more than you"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:44am
So the meeting is still on for tomorrow? Water Chemistry right? Should we bring our water to test? Is there a raffle? or anyone fragging?   - Tim
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:44am
Friday?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:59am

No meeting tomorrow...... MEETING IS TONIGHT!!!

I don't believe we will be testing water? But that is up to the speaker.  There will be some raffle I'm sure. 

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 10:39am
As the speaker ... I was not planning to do any water testing. If someone else wants to bring kits and do some testing, hey the sky's the limit! I had planned to do a survey of many different test kits all using a prepared standard to correlate kit accuracy, but time constraints overtook my intentions. I would (personally) still be interested in the results of this kind of study and may still do it... I just won't be presenting any results tonight.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2003 at 3:26pm
Did this topic come up at the Thursday meeting, or has it been officially tabled? Just wondering - I wasn't able to attend.

Thanks.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2003 at 9:07pm

I'm going to address this at the next presidency meeting, which will be in October.

Thanks for not letting the issue die, and for bringing it up.  Usually people have ideas.... then they just get lost and no one follows up on them.

Adam

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 12:07am
I don't know about you guys, but as a newbie I wonder how fridays will effect bringing in newcomers.  Even a geek like me has a date every once in a while, and although I love a good saltwater revival, I would choose a hot date over that anyday.  I am sure that most of us don't consider ourselves total nerds and may on occasion have a life that pulls us away on the weekends.  I don't know how everyone else feels, but that is just me.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 8:04am
Another alternative might be to have one meeting each quarter on Friday. (4 per year) This would accomodate some of the members that live outside the SL valley (and maybe some of the S.Utah reefers that have been recently posting)
I'm not convinced that club decisions should always be based on attracting new members. Nor should they be based on the minority that live more than 50 miles from SLC. But, if a compromise can be reached - then that is a potential win/win for the club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic