Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beginners Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginners Section
    Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:50am

Here is a PM I received....

I know we have an articals section and a FAQ section. Not sure were something like this would fit maybe a beginers section. Here is my idea. Have some club/presidency aproved articals of common problems that we all encounter. Mainly this would be a referance. Here is an example. I would like to write a detailed artical on Hair Algea. Someone else could write one on aptiasa control ect. I think this could be valuable info especally for beginers. I am not sure what is going on with the pres so I am going to send this idea to you and have you pass it on if need to be. Thanks

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 6:52am

Sounds good to me.

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 9:35am
I have been on a few other forums (not as often as this one ) and they have a beginners forum and it was very helpful on finding answers to my newbie ?s witout having to bather anyone.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 10:43am

I think this is a good idea (although difficult in some ways).  I'm wondering if we should make the document "adaptive".  In other words people could submit changes and edits and then a group of people (either the presidency or a group designated by the presidency), could approve any changes.  In the end you would have a document that may have been started by Adam but has been "improved" by the group as a whole.

Although that would take some work.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:05am
Jake, I agree that the document should be able to be updated and also should be initially approved.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:29am
Wiki ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:50am
Wiki ?
what??

Edited by pistonfister
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:16pm

Google definition:

Wiki: A website or similar online resource which allows users to add and edit content collectively.

So users could dynamically update the content of the web page.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by ssilcox ssilcox wrote:

Wiki ?

That is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:12pm

W= website?

I= interactive?

K=knowledge?

I = information?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:31pm

WIKA... isn't that where that college professor named his associate as a Nazi war crimes guy as a joke and it got sent through?  If so, count me in for sure!!!

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 3:31pm
Seems like Mark started a comprehensive thread about this awhile back??? We should be able to revive this thread (maybe make it sticky) and continue to add items as necessary. Is it possible to make an existing thread into a WIKI? Would the WIKI be part of the forum or and independent part of the web-site?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 4:25pm

A decloration of Fishdependance!

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 10:40pm
A true "wiki" would have to be independent from the message board, unless you just want to have people submit their changes to somebody.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 10:46pm
I really like the idea of keeping it a part of the board. I think that either an aditional tab on the left or a closed forum topic.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 7:47am
What about a sticky where we could link certain threads? Like my sticky
on RC?
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 10:43am
I think the club is doing a great job of promoting our website (and mesageboard).  If we decide on WIKI, it should be seemless to our website...like the messageboard is.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 10:46am

Originally posted by pistonfister pistonfister wrote:

I really like the idea of keeping it a part of the board. I think that either an aditional tab on the left or a closed forum topic.

If we wanted to keep it part of the message board we could make a topic, and allow people to post edits as replies.  After the edits have been made the replies could be removed so there is just one main doc for each topic.  I would imagine after a couple of months the edits would trickle off and we would have a pretty good document.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:28am
I like Jakes idea of how to generate the documents but I think they should be moved into the "Articles" section of the website,  we only have two articles there and that is weaksauce.  This is where articles on topics should actually go!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 3:52pm
I like the helpfulness and overall friendlyness of this board. I would hope it wouldn't get to the point where newbies got the cold shoulder and were just told to do a search (or something similar) to find their answers. If so we would be just like so many other boards.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic