Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nitrates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitrates
    Posted: October 08 2002 at 10:13am
Are water changes the only way to get rid of Nitrates?
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2002 at 11:02am
Gonzo, my personal belief is that a deep (4"-6") sand bed is the best way to rid your tank of nitrates. Of course water changes will work, but if you are like me, water changes are a pain in the rear. And I don't do them as much as I should. I know that my sand bed is working because if I look closely at it I see tiny bubbles below the surface. Those are the by-product of removing nitrate, I believe they are nitrogen. Also, just for kicks, clams will reduce a little of your nitrate. I also would like to hear other people's opinions on this topic. I hope this helps!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2002 at 11:14am

Lots of ways to eliminate nitrates.  I would agree with Marcus and say that deep sand is the best way.  The second best is to incorporate the nitrate into a removable medium..... like growing caulerpa or nitrate removal media or increased bacterial surface area.  Just my $.02

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2002 at 12:39pm
The key is to have a low oxygen area.  That is why Deep Sand beds work so well.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 10:34pm
Another thing to keep an eye on is your algae growth.  Algae, such as Caulerpa and other macro algaes, take in nitrates.  They do break down nitrates, but if your algae crashes toxins from the Caulerpa will release into your tank and there will not be any macro algae to help control the nitrate level.  Its good to keep your macro algaes at level that they are always growing.  If they stop growing then they have taken in all the nitrates that are available, then they starve and can crash.  I don't know an easier way to explain it, maybe Jake or Adam can elaborate for me.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 8:28pm

Gonzo, What prompted your question about nitrates? Every tank is different and every situation is unique. Tell us a little more and we can more effectively answer your specific need.

Mark

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2002 at 11:52pm
My nitrates have been around 20ppm lately.  I have never had them that high.  Overfeeding can cause this, along with the protein skimmer not working like it should.  Skimming can take out the nitrates.  Also one thing to worry about with nitrates is that it can affect you ph so don't let them get too high, like mine have.  I'm doing water changes in the morning to get my nitrates and ph under control.  I have already made adjustments to my skimmer.
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 6:21pm
My skimmer is working well, and I feed little. However my nitrates are often at 20ppm. I'm working toward a more automated system so I don't have to do so many water changes and wanted to know what works best for nitrate removal.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 8:54pm
Also something I've been pondering in my tank is the fact that I have a sandsiffter starfish.  It may be sturring up the substrate too much and interfering with the nitrification process that is important to help keep nitrates under control.  If I can't keep the nitrates in check I might be getting rid of the starfish.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 9:32pm

I would bet on that.  From my experience and the experience of club members..... sand sifting stars eat way too many of your microverts.  The problem is that the microverts are needed to eat and break down small organic particles.  Without them, the tank doesn't have enough "filtration" if you want to call it that.

I'm not positive..... but I would be very suspicious of the star.  That is what I would guess is the culprit.

Adam

Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 11:58pm

If it is the sand bed - as a way of filtration - that we are talking about here, then Dr. Shimek has a good starter article on the subject: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm color=#000000 

I agree with most everything that is put forth in this short article.  He discourages the use of animals that disturbe the sand, which, if the sand bed is set up correctly, has no need of any type of sand sifting anything; it will sift itself.  IMO - Deep sand beds are the best and most reliable long term way to maintain good water parameters. 

HTH - Jared.  - I have studied and just converted my 55 to a sand bed 4 - 6 inches deep, and look forward to the stability that it's addition will add.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 12:53am

Gonzo,

You know me and I know you. Call me if you would like to hash this out in a couple minutes rather than days. My number is on club emails 296-1563

Every tank has different needs depending on how it is set up. Just hearing stuff like deep sand beds work well, or, get rid of those [stupid] sand sifting stars IS correct information, but probably isn't enough to solve your specific problem. The other day I was visiting a members home (that member is probably reading this right now) and they proudly showed off their [stupid] sand sifting sea star. I could tell that they really liked it so I told them in a nice way that some people have determined that the [stupid] things eat good stuff in the sand. So if you like what you've got, keep it and deal with the consequences, but if you want some real answers tell us your real setup and we can tell you what is really causing your nitrate problem. Otherwise we can keep throwing out possibilities like shooting a .22 at a flock of geese, hoping you will hit one.

Maybe the following questions will help you get started with your description: (sorry , you may have told me some of this when we first met, but I forgot)

Size of tank?  Sand depth?  plenum or no? outside filter, sump or refugia? bioballs? water circulation? frequency and amount of water changes? number of invertebrates? soft or hard coral? coral response to 20ppm nitrate level? number and type of fish? response of fish? recent deaths?

This may also interest you.

Years ago when those "maximum allowable" nitrogen compound levels were starting to take hold and became the "bible" of water testing, people were not so familiar with nor were they using the effective natural systems we have come to recognize as the best of our day. There really are more elements and conditions of water than the basic Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2, Phosphorous, Ca, KH, pH. There are other compounds including organic compounds that give life to the water that create a healthy environment. Also the interplay of things like pH, KH and Ca is extremely crucial to the health of the tank. What I am saying is that your nitrate level may not be a problem at all if there are other compensating factors. If the animals are okay, why worry?!!!

So, have I confused you, or bothered you, or hopefully, educated you and caused you to look at your system as a complex but fascinating puzzle?

Looking forward to your response,

Mark  296-1563 (sorry, I guess a phone defeats the usefulness of this forum)

P.S.  How do I get this text to stop double spacing when I hit "enter"?

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 12:46pm

"The member"  is reading your reply right now - correct. Thanks for trying to protect my feelings Mark!

Does anyone want some [stupid] sand sifting stars? I'll make them really cheap for ya - and they eat very well... Both have doubled in size since I have had them.

Been wondering what to do about them (I have two) - I would feel bad to give them back to a store to be sold to another unsuspecting fool. And flushing them would be cruel as well. What do they taste like?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 2:52pm

You know, I just had a wonderful thought about those stupid stars!

Let's say that these stars are actually a good thing in a way. Imagine them roaming through the reef disturbing the sand and helping really stir it up in a way that is beneficial as a matter of periodic maintenance. It's when they are confined to our closed systems that they cause havoc because they finish off their favorite stuff and start eating everything else , in essence cleaning up too good.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea... I will take those stars from you. Can you bring them to the presidency meeting? I'll take everyones sand sifting stars. I have a job for them.

Mark 296-1563

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 3:21pm

What do you think about taking out just one for now, and see what it does to the condition of the sand?

And, if you want it - you will have to explain what dish you are preparing.

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 4:40pm
I'd like to tell you guys why I got my sand star to begin with and maybe you guys can come up with some answers.  The sand was always becoming discolored (green and brown) and I was wanting it to stay white.  He does a really good job at keeping it looking good.  So it does do some binificial things to the tank.  Now one thing I have always read about in magazines and hearing from other folks is that it is bad to have some types of algae in your tank.  But if you look in the ocean it is all over the place but it is controled naturaly.  I think that by not having some of the phosphates and iron and all these other elements in our tanks we are constantly fighting to keep our corals alive.  Where does it end?  Well like Mark said, if your animals are doing well, why bother things.  Well there is one coral that I have that has not been doing well lately and I'm not totally sure why.  Its a bubble coral.  But one might think that the nitrates being high would be the problem, but maybe there are other elements that it needs that have been depleted in my tank.  I don't know.  And I think that no-one will know, but you just have to keep trying new things.  Its a science experiment.  But I think we all want A's.  I think I have a B right now.  And I think it will take many more years to get to an A.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 4:59pm
That simple little question sure did open up a BIG OL' CAN O' WORMS. 
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 10:19pm

Okay here is another thought from me.  I wrote something earlier, but then deleted it and decided not to post it because of causing more debating, but......

Mark posted it for me.  I can't believe Mark said it.  These stars DO have  a beneficial place in the tank.  They get a bad rap (maybe deservedly so) but they aren't stupid by any means.  They may or may not be very reef safe, but they are great in fish only tanks.  So..... they can be useful in certain tanks.  Which is why I think Mark could use them   (living planet maybe?)

If your tank looks good..... leave them in!!!!!  If not, take em out!!!

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 10:24pm

One more thought... just an apology to GonZo.  I'm sorry for my posts under this topic.  You started with a simple 11 word question on nitrates, and we totally got off topic. Sorry,

Adam

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2002 at 10:34pm

I would have to agree with Adam.  Although it is possible that the Sand Sifting Stars my disturb the sand bed, and it they can eat some of the beneficial life that lives in the sand, they also can do many good things.

If the sand bed is not used for Nitrate removal, which it is not in many tanks, or there is a barrier placed in the sand bed so that the star is only able to burrow 1-2" down then I believe that the Sand Sifting Stars can have a place in a reef.

Completely disagree with the [stupid] sand sifting sea star (sorry Mark).

I think this is a matter of opinion and do understand the argument against putting them in your tank, but don’t agree with it complete.

Just my $.02 (again).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic