Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

great deal on snails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: great deal on snails
    Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:14am
I just got my shipment today from a seller on ebay and was realy surprized. OK heres the story , I was surfing ebay ( as I always am ) lokking for some good deals and I saw someone selling snails. The deal was 175 snails (not shure what kind ) for .99 and 15.00 shipping so I watched the item for a few days and it had no bids so I bid on them. they are fairly good sized and looks like they all made it. I just tought I would share this info with you guy because the seller has mor snail packs for sale
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 12:46pm
link?
kcliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 1:51pm

I need a lot of snails for my 75. My tank only has few small snails. Please post link. Does someone like to share big shipment?

Thanks,

KC

I am from Pacific Ocean.
hydroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 2:40pm

Can you post the link?

They may be Nassarius Obsoleta snails aka eastern mud snail (a lot of them sold on EBay).  These are sub-tropical snails and often don't fair well in higher temps.  Some have had success with them, but a rapid die-off could spike your ammonia.

Just a thought

Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 7:36pm

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZseacreatur esnsnails

sorry he has lots of them and he is willing to take biger orders

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:19pm
Yes, it looks like they are Nassarius Obsoleta.  Make sure you take out the ones that die.  You will for sure have die off.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:23pm
Are Nassarius not more likely to eat extra food or detritus than they would algae? It's also known as a mud whelk and I beleive snails in the whelk family are almost exclusively carnivorous. I've never seen mine eat algae. They typically only come above sand level when I feed. If you're looking for algae eaters, I might suggest something along the lines of Turbos, Astreas, and Certihs.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
hydroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:52pm

nass obsoleta snails are more algae eaters and are subtropical

nass vibex snails eat detritus and uneaten food and are a tropical species.  these are the ones you want in a reef imo

A test is worth three expert opinions

Todd
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 1:34am

Within hours you received good advice from this MB. Isn't that cool.!

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kcliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 2:39am

How are your snails doing?

KC

I am from Pacific Ocean.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 9:09am
Tey are doing fine I have not seen any deadd ones in my 55gl. I put some in my new 20 L to see how they did and they are doing fine also
hydroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 9:43am

Glad to see them thriving.  I call my my nass vibex snails the 5th battallion cuz when they smell food they all come out of the sand and charge the feeding area.

From posts I've read (no personal experience here) the obsoleta typically start showing some die off several months down the road (if they do die) ... so keep an eye on them in the months to come.  Its like a persistent, low-level stress for them to be in warmer water.  Some handle it long term, some don't.

A test is worth three expert opinions

Todd
kcliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 11:00am

Keep us informed on how your sanils doing.

Thanks,

KC

I am from Pacific Ocean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic