Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Swaps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Swaps
    Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:37am

Although I'm looking for a discussion I posted this in Recommendations because I'm thinking it may help the presidency when planning upcoming coral cuttings.

From Paletta's article that came out today
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/3/aafeature3

Initially these swaps were somewhat random unorganized events where most hobbyists brought frags from corals that were overgrowing their tanks while only a few hobbyists brought a couple of rare choice fragments. As a result, the hobbyist with eh choice fragments was overwhelmed while the common stuff often went unclaimed, which frustrated the individuals that had brought them. Fortunately as the swaps have evolved, the organizing to set them up has improved as well. Due to internet and club forums and bulletin boards hobbyists attending swaps can now post what they plan on bringing and ascertain the level of interest before they bring it and thus bring more or less of the frags they have according to the level of interest. Some hobbyists now go so far as to set up specific trades before they go with other hobbyists to make things go more smoothly. In the best conceived of these swaps hierarchies are set up that allow individuals with the most desirable frags to get first choice of the other most desirable frags. This new twist increases the likelihood of rarer and better frags being present and this increases the attendance even further. Since many of these hobbyists are far enough away from each other that they are unlikely to see each others colonies or frags, many hobbyists now go so far as to post digital pictures of their corals and fragments to give hobbyists attending the swap an even better idea of what may be available. The more information that can be provided before a swap the more likely it is to be successful.

I completely disagree, and I completely agree.  Feel free to share your thoughts.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:47am
Posting digital pictures.... great idea.

Creating "rare frag" elite.... TERRIBLE idea.

Oh well, i'm not interested in anything that costs $50 for a 1/2 in frag anyways, i guess i'm happy being a common coral commoner.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:51am

Dave-
We already have someone in this club to make those comments (me) so you try saying something else.  Doesn't it seem like every post you make is just what I'm about to say?  Sorry to say it, but you are just like me

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 9:00am
I agree with both of youse two, except there are some who only want
"rare" and "limited edition" stuff. I do think in our club these people find
each other with no help from us, except providing the MB and access to
each other. I don't think we need a frag swap to exclude some from
getting certain stuff....

And, I really don't want to "increase the attendence even further"! It's
already a zoo!

But, a frag fest that is split by color, where only the pink can trade with
pink, could be a good idea!

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

And, I really don't want to "increase the attendence even further"! It's already a zoo!

Our last frag meeting (Jan-06) only had about 100 people in attendance. 20% of the frags went unpurchased. As a result, the next frag meeting may have less available frags. HINT:Get there early - sit by the doors!
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:11pm
I have to agree with most of the above statements.
Being a "commoner" I am just looking for stuff to make my tank look good.
I think many aquarists don't have the cash to spend on the rare and unique.
I sure don't. (My wife reminds me all the time how much I have spent)

However, I have noticed that probably 90% of the frags at the fest always seem to be stony.
Almost every tank I have seen is full of stony coral and they don't have room for more ordinary so they go with the rare.

Maybe if we had more soft, there might be more takers.

IMO

220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:19pm
Kevin,

Very good point. Thanks for the input.

Consider it noted.
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:22pm
One problem is some of the more popular frags "sell out" quicker.  What about running the frag meeting like a raffle (at least for the limited items).  Tickets are free.  Of course you still have to pay for any frag that you won.  One ticket per person so bring your wife to increase your chances.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:01pm

I know many here think they are boring, but I had a great time at the Freshwater clubs auction last Saturday.  I know it takes a long time to auction everything, but they bring fish, plants, food, tanks, stands, anything anyone wants to sell and auction it off.  The club takes 30% and the seller gets the rest.

Even if we did this for fun rather than to bring a ton of money to the club.  I think it could be great.  It could also be a lot of work, but the freshwater club seems to pull it off pretty well.

Note:  This idea would not be intended to replace the Frag Fest, just another fun activity for the club.

Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:07pm

I think pictures of frags is a great ideal and it will give you an ideal of the interest level of a particular frag.  An elite hierarchy is however not a great ideal. I also would be interested in more softies and LPS.  Although my SPS are starting to show promise!

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

And, I really don't want to "increase the attendence even further"! It's already a zoo!

Our last frag meeting (Jan-06) only had about 100 people in attendance. 20% of the frags went unpurchased. As a result, the next frag meeting may have less available frags. HINT:Get there early - sit by the doors!

If I had only known there were frags that didn't sell.  I would have bought some.  I thought they were all gone!  How about having an after sale sale?  Just let people know on this MB what did not get sold and sell it here?  You could even ask the same price or go $5.00 more.  I'd buy more!

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

And, I really don't want to "increase the attendence even further"! It's
already a zoo!

Our last frag meeting (Jan-06) only had about 100 people in attendance.
20% of the frags went unpurchased. As a result, the next frag meeting
may have less available frags. HINT:Get there early - sit by the doors!

I like this Idea I would rather have the club run out of frags then throw
them away.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 11:17am
We could always go with a silent auction for the more rare frags and put a min. bid on them. the person that gives the frag yo the auction can either give all of the money to the club ofr thake a %.Then you can post pics. of the frag with the min. starting price a week or so before to get people interested.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 11:31am
I am all for keeping things simple. First come first serve. pictures of the corals are a great idea.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 12:15pm
As far as private trading/selling of frags, I do not want the club to inhibit this in any way. In fact, these interactions are encouraged on the MB and at appropriate times during the meetings. The club does not solicit nor expect a % of any of these sales. (We do gladly accept any donations! ) The only limitations are during our fundraising frag fest. We discourage private sales on this night to encourage people to support the club.

The presidency is always looking for ways to improve the frag fests and to ensure the meeting is equitable for everyone. (this is why the frags are not grouped together) You don't have to be the fastest to get the more sought after frags. (but it doesn't hurt!)

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 1:56pm

How 'bout if you guys hide the baggies around the building and we could have an Easter egg type hunt? 

20% of the frags went unpurchased

What do you think about having a tiered pricing based on time.  Say for the first 15 minutes (7:30 - 7:45) frags of Heil's Beast (HB) are $25.  Then from 7:45 to 8:00 they're $15 and from 8:00 to 8:15 they're $10 and so on.  That way you'll sell the most sought after frags for the most money, but still sell out all the less desirable frags to all the cheapskates at the end of the meeting.  I realize it might be a logistics nightmare getting the pricing right for each of the frags, but it might work...

unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:16pm
I am afraid that would kill my budget.
I like the fest because it helps me expand my aquasphere at a resonable price.
considering 1 ot of 10 of my frags die, I think the original prices are more resonable.

I think the best way to do it is keep it as is, the better the frag the more it costs, however, at the end, say just before dinner, knock off 50%.

Just a thought

220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 7:53pm
I think unixnum1 has the right idea, sell the frags at normal cost until just before everyone leaves, and then drop the price.  If you have any left the next day, sell them as bunches for a good price on the board.

As far as the rare coral bit, I don't buy a coral because it's 'rare'.  I buy it because I like the way it looks, however my taste and my wallet don't seem to agree often.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 8:15pm
Personely I love it the way it is....pushin...fightin...shuving to get to the best frags. Just kidding! It's all good.. I do like the idea of selling off the remainder by a post on the board. This would give a chance fro people who could'nt make the meeting but wish they could have to buy a few. More softies a great idea. At the end newly paid members get a free frag from the remaining 20% or so.
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 9:10pm
I can tell who stays late to help clean up! They already know about the blow out sale at 9:30!

Please keep the suggestions coming. The frag fests are one of the most stressful meetings we have. Any ways to improve are gladly tried and when proven - adopted!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic