Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pressure locking sump baffles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pressure locking sump baffles
    Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:42am

Has anyone tried this? http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffle s.htm

I thinking of doing it for the sump/refugium I'm setting up.

Connie
Tooele
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:52am

I thought about it after I first read that article.  I still worry about it holding up.  I figured I'd wait until other were doing it and then decide.  Until then I think I'm going to make dividers that stand up like bookstands.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
amorgenegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:24am
How often are you really going to change your sump configuration?  I can see changing it at first to make modifications for improvement, but after it is setup I imagine you would just leave it.

If the pressure against the baffle is not too great it wouldn't take much to hold it since the water on the other side is also providing some resistance.  I would be worried about chemicals from the gasket though.
Andrew Morgenegg
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:30am
Both good points.
Connie
Tooele

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:35am
One thing I did in a wet/dry filter I built was to take thin strips of acrylic (glass would work as well), and then glue them parallel on the side.  I did the same on both sides for each baffle to create a channel the thickness of the baffle so that the baffle could be removed leaving only the thin pieces that created the channels.  You could consider doing that.
Andrew Morgenegg
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 12:17pm
Yes, I've been thinking of that too.  Do you think there would be sand leaking through?
Connie
Tooele

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 12:20pm
You might get a little sand leaking, but I would think that once it was set there wouldn't be any leaking through.  I guess you could try something like putting a bead of silicone on the one side of the glass, not to hold the glass in, but to create a seal.

I didn't block sand with the baffles I did this way so never considered sand leaking through.
Andrew Morgenegg
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:31pm

I just siliconed the pieces in from both sides. If you use acrylic pieces then its easy to pop out and scrape the silicone off at a later date to change the set up. I had to change one of my sumps once. It was easy. If you plan your layout with all of the possibilites that you might do, then you wont need to worry about changeing it.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

If you plan your layout with all of the possibilites that you might do, then you wont need to worry about changeing it.

Easy to say... making me nuts to do.

Connie
Tooele
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic