Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

drilling acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drilling acrylic
    Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:22pm

What tools do you need to drill a hole in 1/4" acrylic for an external pump?  Do you all have tips for that? 

Connie
Tooele
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:49pm
You can do it with most any drill bit except the ones meant for wood use only; the best thing is to use a hole saw. You just need to dip the bit in water to keep it from melting the acrylic as you drill/cut.
Rocky Phillips
Hill AFB, Utah

Currently Tankless :(

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:51pm
just a normal hole saw will work connie...  just go slow and let the bit cut don't force it, and back it out often so it doesn't heat up too much.

just get a 1 3/4 hole saw (the outer diameter of a 1 inch bulkhead) or whatever the appropriate size.  very easy.  will take about 2 minutes to do!  remember measure twice cut once
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:56pm

I just use my hole saw and drill away.  I'm usually drilling 1.25" holes and it is pretty easy.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 6:10pm
1.25 isn't big enough for a 1 inch bulkhead.... are you using 3/4 inch bulkheads on your closed loop now adam? =p
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 6:14pm

This will be my first 1.25 closed loop.  The last was .75..... I think?

Adam

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:05pm
i'm so lost...  those eyeballs are 1 inch bulkheads and require a 1.75 inch hole... you know that right?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:29pm
I agree with everything Dave has said... well except for the measure twice cut once.  What fun is there in that!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:40pm

Originally posted by dnellans dnellans wrote:

i'm so lost...  those eyeballs are 1 inch bulkheads and require a 1.75 inch hole... you know that right?

I don't think I knew that.  It doesn't really matter, I was just going to measure them after I got them and then pick the right drill bit.  I don't know what hole sizes are needed for what sized bulkheads off the top of my head.

Adam

Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:41pm

OK... well.... I guess it's anchors away.   It is such a beautiful refugium.  Acrylic is forgiving, right?

Connie
Tooele
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:57pm
VERY don't even think twice, just go for it!   go slow on the first one and the rest you can blow through like nothing once you're comfortable 
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:00pm
Adam your bulkheads are in :-)
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:03pm
Do you have extras? 
Connie
Tooele
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic