Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mangrove Jug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mangrove Jug
    Posted: October 25 2003 at 1:00pm
As some of you know, I am always trying something new!

Just for the fun of it, I planted Mangroves in the window. Last month I got the three shortest pods Kirk (reefsaver) had. A jug from the D.I. and UOS(Utah Oolitic Sand) were the cheapest parts of the set-up.

Right off the bat, the leaves and stem on one went black and curled up. The second one was okay at first, but has since lost both leaves and the new tip has a line of brown. The third is still doing fine as you can see from the pics.

The interesting thing is that all three seed pods are hard and stiff when pressed between two fingers. This is a good sign. It means that all are growing roots and even the saddest one should send out new stem and leaves.

At first the jug had no water movement, but the sickening algae slime on top of the water motivated me to use a bubbler. There are six snails, recently added, the largest and smallest can be seen facing us in separate pics. Two small Hermits are also doing their job. I waited until the algae (cyanobacteria) was partially cleaned off the side before taking the pics.

Pics taken today:

Pic from last week:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 4:26pm
Cool experiment. Mark is the only person I know that can make a jug look good.
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 9:26pm

Mark

That looks pretty sweet there.  Figures you would come up with something like that.  Hopefully the other two will snap back for you soon.

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2003 at 5:41am
    Now I've got to figure out how to add that to my tank! I love terrariums! Cool, Mark!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 2:06pm
Has anyone seen any baby clams at an LFS? I need a clam about an inch long to filter the green water now growing in my Jug! I added a small Allen's Damsel and am feeding with Adam's Fish food that I won at the meeting (great mtg and thanks Adam for bringing the ingredients to make the food).
The added nutrients quickly grew some sort of phtoplankton that I didn't intentionally add. The fish food isn't a problem, I just don't have anything in there to eat phytoplankton.
Here's a pic of the fish, a hermit, two surviving and one dead Mangrove in greenwater.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 2:18pm
There were some baby Crocea's (or were they Squamosa's? I.m not sure) at The Aquarium a few weeks ago... not sure if they are still there, but they were like $30 or $35 for one or $50 for 2. Why not get a less expensive bivalve like a flame scallop or something?

Dave

Edited by Sarnack
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 3:00pm
Aquatica has (or had) hippopus clams for like $15 a little while back.  But I second the scallop idea.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 7:34pm
A scallop, hmmm. Yes, that sounds great. I'll take one, but it needs to be small, so has anyone seen a small scallop?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic