Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 mroe ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 mroe ?
    Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:31am
I think i have everything to start setting up my tank but i need to get a powerhead, do u guys think i need 1 on each side or 1 is good for a 20 long and yeah there are so many brand out there, which one is the best..  aslo can u tell me if i got everything i need today to start cycyling my tank...---
utah rock + LR connie
live sand-live water
filter
heater
gonna buy power head today
bought the instand ocean salt from pet factory
got the 2x65 watts lights
 anything else i need to start this today.. I ALSO want to say thanks to everyone in the site for helping me out with all the info i needed.  1 thing i learned is to be patiend and do a lot of research b4 u start anything and i am been researching for lots of weeks. Thanks and FREETIBETTTTTTTTTT.
40 breeder, TEK T5 6x39 7 months

Quote by Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

Salt lake city,Ut
maitopoika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maitopoika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:33am
i have a 20 gallon i had only one head and it really wasn't enough i kept getting a lot of cyano bacteria and such so i put a second and it is much better. I think the general rule on circulation for a 20 gal is at least 200 gph so i have two 120 gph heads
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:41am

I agree with maitopoika, two would be better. Id put one near the surface to cause surface agitation.

Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:54am
I think protein skimmers are especailly helpful in new tanks.  It think that is one of the inventions that has made reef keep accessable to most of us. 
Connie
Tooele
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:40am
Where is the Live Sand and Live Rock right now? I hope you are not letting those components sit in a bucket, waiting to go into the tank. That would be killing them as they sit.

IMO a skimmer is not necessary. In a tank less than 30 gals. use a more affordable, modest sized, hang on the back filter with floss and activated carbon. This will work very well and do pretty much the same thing as a skimmer, at a small fraction of the cost.

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 27 2006 at 12:46am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:58am
In the tankBig smile.

Salt lake city,Ut
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:32am
I agree with Mark, my 30g and 15g do not have a protein skimmer, I use macro algae in the tanks and canister filters with AC.  A HOB filter would work just a well.

Edited by Gahlenfr - April 27 2006 at 9:33am
freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 11:56pm
I got this Power sweep powerhead for $27, its awesome, The head moves automaticly...

Salt lake city,Ut
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 8:56am
Unfortunately, those can get dirty and stop swiveling, unless they are cleaned regularly. Careful abouit gimmicks that add no value to the tank.  Ask us here before you buy and you will save yourself time and money.
freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:26am
Well that sucks.Disapprove

Salt lake city,Ut
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:41am
I kinda like the powersweeps, They do slow down a bit after a while, but only need cleaning every three monts or so I find. their biggest enemies are those little snails that love to crawls inside the outflow and wedge themselves between the gears. But if you can mount them in such a way that they're seperated from the side of the tank, like hanging from an acrylic top brace just away from the wall, then this isn't an issue either.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:41am
Some people have them and love them. Chrisslc has had some that have worked a long time because he cleans them regularly.

Mark - what do you mean by "gimmicks that add no value to the tank?" I think we all agree that a swiveling head would be a bonus provided it continues to swivel over time.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:43am
Of course, I haven't tried the famous Maxijet Modification yet, I may buy a pair of these and make one into a "tunze stream" and mod the output on the other.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:43am
man, bizzare timing again, my posts are getting a little too psychic lately
freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:55am

so far so good, well its only been 1 night.Big smile

Salt lake city,Ut
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 12:56pm
Chris - good to see you around here again. I'd like to come by for a frag or two sometime.
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 1:17pm
sure, I have lots of big leathers these days that are getting a major trim before the Frag meeting, You should come by before then and pick some choice bits.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Ghetto Man Ghetto Man wrote:

Mark - what do you mean by "gimmicks that add no value to the tank?"

Perhaps I am being too critical, but IMO, there are many things seen on the shelves that may seem great to a new hobbyists, but are a waste of money, because the effect the product is trying to attain can be achieved in a simpler, less costly way.

In this case, my opinion is that the swiveling jet coming out of these pumps moves back and forth too fast and is too weak. The result of these two aspects is ineffective water motion. The water motion dissipates within inches of the nozzle. To be truly effective, the flow should be noticed at the other side of the tank. Many times they are used in small tanks where strong current may not be desired, to be sure, but I have found that for a small tank, a stronger stationary flow directed up at the water surface, offers greater benefit.

Disclaimer: Perhaps the newer pumps of this type are improved over what I have seen.Embarrassed

Originally posted by Ghetto Man Ghetto Man wrote:

I think we all agree that a swiveling head would be a bonus provided it continues to swivel over time.

The Sea Swirl is the best of these on the market, but it can also be ineffective if the jet of water coming out of it is too weak to create flow at the other side of the tank.

My 2 cents. Smile
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 12:34am
You know, Mark has a point. These sweeps are probably not very helpful in a big tank, but they can add a little extra sway where needed. And he's right to point out that there are plenty of gimmicks out there to take advantage of a new reefer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic