Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Percula/Ocellaris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Percula/Ocellaris
    Posted: October 25 2002 at 5:10pm

How do most of you identify percula clowns from ocellaris clowns?  (and tomato from cinnamon and the rest)

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 7:40am

According to Joyce Wilkerson in her book "Clownfishes" Ocellaris clowns have 11 dorsal spines while perculas have 9 or 10.

According to Fautin and Allen "Field Guide to Anemonefishes and their Host Sea Anemones" the anterior part of the dorsal fin ray is taller on Ocellaris than on Percula but the difference is scant.
HTH,

Jeff

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 10:16am
That is one reason why I like Ocellaris clowns the most Jeff, is because of the bigger fancier dorsal fins.  I usually can tell by the black edges around the stripes.  Ocellaris clowns seem to have a more uniform design, where the perculas are always wierd and ununiform.
Thaiphoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaiphoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 6:59pm
What about the color. I thought I had one ocellaris and one true because one of them was more orange than the other, but then I read that the female takes on a darker orange. Good luck on counting dorsel spines, but is there another way?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 7:33pm

Thaiphoon gets the award for longest post resurection!  Holy Cow I started this post over a year ago.  I can actually identify percs from ocels pretty easy but at the time of this post someone in the club was asking so I posted the question for them.  Thanks for getting on here and finding it, that is great.  It is funny, because even a year later this is still a common topic. 

By the way, the black coloration is the easiest identifier, in my mind.

Adam

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 6:25am

what happens when you get a set of black clown fish?  where they only have orange on the mouth, and don't hold still long enough to count the fins?

Nate

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 7:10am
If it's black it's an ocellaris right?  Is there a black percula morph?  I thought everyone selling black percs was just propigating the myth.  Am I off base here.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 7:34am

For the most part, if it is black it is ocellaris.  Very few actual black percs.  I can usually also tell by how far the anterior projection is on the second band.  Also, the height of the first dorsal spine (I-1) is helpful. 

When in doubt, it is an ocellaris.

Adam

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 8:06am

Adam,

When I go to purchase some blacks (like I'll ever have the $$$) I'll call ya and have you come look at them first.  That way I know what kind they really are.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2003 at 9:07pm
Hey everyone! i am so excited. I just started my first saltwater tank. So i guess ill be on here askin ya'll questions. I just started out with one ocellaris clown fish. I really hope he'll do okay he's already swimmingn around and has a few little covered cave like areas that he likes to hang in.  I haven't seen him eat yet but they said ya know it will take time. we have many fresh water tanks in the house but ya knw this is totally different. so what all do ya'll feed ur clownfish? Thanks! Lindsay! :)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2003 at 8:02am

Lindsay

Feed them Adam Gumbo.  Basically, anything.  Anemonefishes are easy to feed and I would go with mysis shrimp and brine shrimp for sure. 

Welcome!

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic