Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My anemone ate my anemonefish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My anemone ate my anemonefish
    Posted: November 08 2003 at 7:50pm

It was the weirdest thing.  I was watching my new percula swim around in my carpet anemone.  Then the anemone just folded over and engulfed him!  I have some othe anemone fish that always hang out in that anemone, so this was very weird.  I don't know if my reaction should be "stupid fish" or "stupid anemone".  Either way I think that is the first time I've seen an anemonefish be eaten by an anemone.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 8:49pm

Expensive feeder fish! 

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 9:53pm
Sorry to hear about that. I have never seen this. Are there certain types of anemones that eat certain types of clowns?? This may be worth a little looking into.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 11:15pm
It's obvious that your anemone saw a clown fish, not an anemonefish ...
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 10:05am

I'll agree this particular anemonefish was infact a clownfish.  It is rare, but is true.

Adam

ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 5:02pm
Do you think that a flower anenome would eat a clown too?  I got two little perculas at the swap meet Thursday, by Saturday I only had one.  My flower is pretty big and could easily close around a small fish.  When I lose a fish I seldomly see its remains as the serpant star and peppermint shrimp clean it up so quickly.  I don't like my fish just disappearing overnight.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 7:53pm

Yes, I do believe it was your anemone.  Sometimes anemonefishes don't have their slime coating in normal form after the catching and shipping process.  Usually they slowly build there way back to having it.  I think these particular fish were anxious to jump in the anemones and consequently were taken as food. 

As a side note, A. percula naturally only resides in 3 anemones.

Adam

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 7:56pm
's
The poor perculas in both situations! Adam, what type of anemonefish are the others?
How often does an anemone host more than a pair of fish?
Is it possible that since it already had its pair, the anemone decided this new one should be considered food, rather than an additional occupant?
Rock Flower Anemones don't typically host fish.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

's
The poor perculas in both situations! Adam, what type of anemonefish are the others?
How often does an anemone host more than a pair of fish?
Is it possible that since it already had its pair, the anemone decided this new one should be considered food, rather than an additional occupant?
Rock Flower Anemones don't typically host fish.

My other fishes that have hosted in that anemone are a tomato A. frenatus, a false clown A. ocellaris, and a domino damsel (not an anemonefish) Dascyllus trimaculatus.  Anemones often host many pairs of anemonefishes, but not in this case because my anemone is only 8 inches across.  It is currently the host anemone for my pair of D. trimaculatus.  I do believe the anemone would have accepted the new fish as residents, but it was too soon.  However, it is possible the anemone didn't want new residents, it just wanted dinner.  Tough to say what may have been the cause, but at least I know what happened.

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 8:12pm

Originally posted by pistonfister pistonfister wrote:

Are there certain types of anemones that eat certain types of clowns?? 

Of the 1,000 species of anemones, only 10 are naturally host to anemonefishes.  Most will certainly eat whatever they can.

Adam

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 6:28am

Look in the thread I started about a.percula and anemone, Jake was kind enought to post a chart that lists compatability of anemones and anemone fishes.  It is the best I've come across so far.  Hopefully this doesn't happen when I finally get my black clownfish...

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 8:11am

After some chanting, some candles and incense... I have brought this thread back from the dead!

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Of the 1,000 species of anemones, only 10 are naturally host to anemonefishes.  Most will certainly eat whatever they can.

I recently acquired two black ocellaris, a fish that I had wanted for a very long time, and Marine aquatics had them for a price I couldnt refuse. But - they have taken a liking to my monster condylactis. I know that condylactis does not host any known anemonefish in the wild. However, they have been happily hosting in it for the last week. Should I be worried?

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 8:59am

Hmmm, worried.  I'll say no not worried.... because it is a hobby don't worry.  Is there a chance they will eat your wonderful fish..... yep. 
But I don't think so.  I think they'll be fine.  Seems to me that if an anemone was going to eat your fish, they'd eat them at first, not sometime down the road. 

Adam

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 12:12pm
I have a clarkii that hosts in a condy. Hasn't eaten him yet and its been at least 8 months.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 1:02pm
Great. Thanks guys, I may sleep a little better now.
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 7:36am

I've found my carpet anenome has a preference for crabs. He took out my spider crab after a couple days and so far has made 3 failed attempts to eat my horseshoe crab (I pulled it out myself 2 of the 3 times).

Patrick
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 8:51am

Horseshoe crabs- is there anything cooler?  And at the same time is there anything more stupid? 

Adam

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 4:43pm
Well that is that. I came home to find one black ocellaris, and one missing. Checked the entire tank - no body. It had to be the anemone because that is the only place they hang out. So - see auction under buy sell trade for a HUGE condy for sale.
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 6:14pm
Sorry to hear about your fish Shane.  Both of my oscellaris are hosting in my pink tip.  Mine isn't nearly as big as yours though.  They seem happy.  At least better than living in my powerhead like they have been doing!

Brian
Provo, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic